SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_kincaid

We LOVE our Vinyl Plank flooring. Review!

Julie Kincaid
7 years ago

We built a house and moved in 8 months ago, and I spent so much time on this forum researching what flooring to put in, that I thought I would share how well we like our choice.

We have radiant in-floor heat, 6 kids and wanted something that would look like hardwoods, but be durable and waterproof. We live in Alaska where there is tons of snow and dirt.

We ended up buying Moduleo IVC Vision, in "Old English Oak #24842". I just checked their website, and it looks like they might not make this color anymore? If anyone is seriously interested, I can mail you a sample to try to match color. :)

We chose to glue down our flooring for three reasons. One, we have a large home and I trusted my "25 years in the flooring business" brother who told me glue-down was the right choice for our large expanses. Second, I liked the ability to change directions. Third, I LOVED the idea that I could do repairs simply by heating up a damaged plank, pulling it up and slapping down a new one.

I will say that we love our new home. One of my FAVORITE choices that we made is our vinyl plank flooring. Everyone who walks in comments on it, so much so that I finally made up samples to keep in a kitchen drawer to hand out. A few people have thought it was wood, but most simply ask, "what is this flooring?" They are usually shocked when I say vinyl.

I was concerned before install that putting down vinyl would somehow cheapen our beautiful dream home. Not so. It is gorgeous and doesn't look a thing like the grocery stores. It also seems to work just fine with the in floor heat, and we haven't had any problems with the heat underneath causing any bubbling or peeling.

Even though we have the ability to repair any damage easily, we haven't had to worry about this yet. After 8 months, including 6 kids, many large parties, and 36 house guests this summer, the floor still looks like the day we installed it.

I love that it is waterproof, so I don't have to worry if my kids spill a gallon of milk and I don't notice right away. I love that its so bomb-proof that my boys can drop (ok, throw!) toys and nothing happens (not so with my previous hardwood floors).

The color I chose is so perfect. I have to MAKE myself mop it. Seriously hides so much. It is a great neutral, medium brown, but with enough variation that it is interesting.

In the entryway, where we did a herringbone inlay, we used a box of a slightly darker plank for the border. It was the same brand and line, but one of the "pine" ones.

The planks are 8" wide and about 54" long.

I can't recommend it enough! I love my vinyl plank and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just wish I could go back and slap myself for the time I spent considering anything else.

Comments (21)