SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickster88

Calculating the amount of nutrients on a non-recirculating system

rickster88
7 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to hydroponics. I have a green wall that is non-circulating and it uses 16,000 ml per day of water (I'm trying to calibrate this further as I believe I can use a lot less water over a 10 square meter wall).

I'm trying to get to calculate the amount of foliage pro I need and based on the following link I need 1.39 grams of nitrogen in a 15 cm2 pot per year. I grow anthuriums and philodendrons.

http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1995-vol-108/5-10%20(CONOVER).pdf

Since the wall is irrigated 3 times a day and assuming that the volume of the 15cm2 pot is 15cm3, this would equate to 0.25mg/ml/day of nitrogen?

Computations are: 1cm3 = 1ml

Therefore: (1.39 g of nitrogen per ml * 1000 mg/g) / 365 days in a year = 0.25mg/ml of nitrogen per day

If I used foliage pro, 1ml of the solution would equate to 90mg of nitrogen since it guarantees 9% of nitrogen per volume (I know that this is not exactly true, but I assumed that the soluble chemical is 1000mg = 1 ml).

http://www.dyna-gro.com/936.htm

Computations are: 9% * 1000mg = 90mg nitrogen per 1ml of foliage pro solution.

Therefore, for 16,000ml of water irrigated per day I would use 0.00282 ml of foliage pro solution per day?

Computations are: 0.25mg/ml/day of nitrogen as recommended / 90 mg/ml = 0.00282 ml/day of nitrogen.

This seems particularly low compared to foliage pro's recommended dosage at 1.25ml per 3,800 millilitres of water for every watering. If I were to interpolate this, at 16,000 millilitres of water I would need 5.35ml of foliage pro solution.

I think where my problem is arising from is that I'm assuming that the 0.25mg/ml of nitrogen is split out over the 3 waterings per day. I know that I don't have it spot on exact, but I calculated the total ppm to be 870ppm (1.24EC)? I'll check with a ppm meter when I get one before preparing the concentrate, it get's a little more complicated that I'll need to factor in the rate of the venturi application. Arghh the calculus!

Not sure where I'm going wrong. Anyone care to explain?

Comment