SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Do You Watch Television with your Husband or Wife?

Absolutely not. He starts out with one show and then he goes all the way around the channels the whole time it seems. He also does not watch things I like and will watch repeat shows too often. How about you, do you like watching television with your other?

Sue

Comments (44)

• Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

Yes, we watch TV together. There are some shows that I like that he isn't really a fan of (Quantico, for example), but he will sit and watch them with me. Of course, he has his laptop with him and will spend his time on that when I'm watching something that he doesn't like. Except, if I watch more than one HGTV show he'll get up and leave the room...

He doesn't watch anything that I don't like. I can sit and watch sports on tv with him, and knit at the same time...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lindsey_CA
  • always1stepbehind
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I LOVE being the queen of my tv. (divorced 12+years now) ETA: but if I was married and hubby didn't want to watch what I did, I'd have my own set up with DVR etc and go watch my shows on my own.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked always1stepbehind
  • Related Discussions

Do you watch Create TV?

Q

Comments (12)
    I love Create! I've been watching for a couple years. Saturdays they often have all day marathons of one show. Did you see "Spain...On the Road Again" with Mario Batali, Gwyneth Paltrow, a beautiful Spanish actress whose name I have forgoon at the moment, and Mark Bittman? It was absolutely wonderful! I LOVE CREATE!!!
    ...See More

Do you watch any educational TV shows?

Q

Comments (16)
    We watch a lot of the History Channel as well as the Discovery Channel. I like PBS shows, love to catch a cooking show of Julia Childs...she is a hoot to watch. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to catch a quilting show on PBS, I can't seem to find out just when they are showing! Deb
    ...See More

how do you choose which TV news to watch

Q

Comments (23)
    I like "Morning Joe" too, wannaretire, except for the darned music they play in the background sometimes. I like Willie Geist who has a 1/2 hour program before MJ and then is on their show a lot. We get two newspapers so I get most of the news from them. In the evening we watch ABC for two reasons. I like Diane Sawyer and the main reason------Jeopardy comes on right after :-) We sleep to either HDTV, CNN or MSNBC. CNN because I hope AC360 will have James Carvell on. I'm totally in love with him!! Cynic, those "coming up next" teasers drive me crazy, too. If you notice, these days they call themselves journalists rather than reporters. I don't know if it's because it sounds fancier or because they're just reading a script that's put in front of them. They do get my appreciation when they're able to pronounce all those foreign names. Like Blagojevich. LOL!
    ...See More

What kind/size TV do you watch?

Q

Comments (16)
    DH and I had been shopping for a new entertainment center for the living room for several years. Then, two years ago we happened across a beautiful unit at a price we were more than happy to pay and incredible as it seemed, along with the unit came a 62" Mitsubishi LCD HD TV, Yamaha surround sound system with five speakers, a stereo receiver and DVD player. 62" is overkill in our small living room but we quickly got used to it and am now the main attraction with our neighbors and co-workers when it comes to watching NetFlix movies. This photo of the TV and unit was taken two Christmases ago. Jodi-
    ...See More
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have my own television in my room. By the way in December we will have been married 63 years.

Sue

• nicole___
    7 years ago

We watch the same exact shows....when we have time. We have 5 TV's, all with dvd players next to them. If he's in the bathtub and Survivor is on, he'll shout to me.."Dumb move!" as he accesses the action.....:0)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • User
    7 years ago

We don't have a television so no mindless channel surfing happens here (thank goodness!) We choose something on Netflix or Amazon Prime and watch together when we feel like watching something.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

Mostly. I get a little sick of sports after awhile and he doesn't watch Walking Dead but most netflix or HBO series we watch together.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sleeperblues
  • Elizabeth
    7 years ago

We have some agreed upon shows that we both like and watch together. There are a few that I watch alone and so does he. However, we never turn the other person's show off when we enter the TV room. Also, I love my kitchen TV. It takes the boredom out of kitchen work.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elizabeth
  • lily316
    7 years ago

Nope. He's in the sunroom with his flat screen and I'm in the keeping room with mine(which is bigger...lol). We watch Survivor and Criminal Minds together, but that's it. He flips to football all the time and I like to control the remote.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lily316
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I almost never watch any television in the day time. If he is home during the day, that television is on till the time he goes to bed. We have antenna television. No cable or satellite out here and we do not get movies over the internet or record any shows.

Sue

• chisue
    7 years ago

I'll go in and out while DH watches his Bears -- out if there's a lot of cursing. That calmed down since I pointed out that our dog would hide under the bed in fright. He's only interested in *his* football and baseball teams. I'd go nuts with anyone who spent whole weekends watching every sports event on TV. (I understand and enjoy sports, although sometimes they drag due to advertising.)

We don't watch commercial TV except for news. We have 'Teatime Matinee' most days at 3 p.m. and watch prerecorded PBS or stream a movie or TV series from Amazon Prime.

We have a medium-size TV in the 'library' and a small set on a buffet in the 'breakfast room' (room of all meals). We've never wanted a TV in our MBR.

(I'm hoping one day to see the movie version of Marilyn Sue's memoirs.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chisue
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

We didn't have a TV for the first 7 years of our marriage. The next 11 years we only had one, my husband loves to unwind by watching shows so I rarely watched anything. When we bought our current home the previous owner left us several nice flat screens. What a treat it has been to have my own tv!! We mostly watch separately as I like to go to bed early while he is still watching his shows. I like shows he doesn't enjoy also, when we have a show we both like, we watch together. We both enjoyed True Detective Season 1 together.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked hooked123
  • Bluebell66
    7 years ago

NO! He watches all sports all the time. I don't watch much these days, except for a few isolated shows. We did watch Longmire together one or two hours weekly, but now that it's over for another year, that is the end of our TV togetherness.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Bluebell66
  • Mary506
    7 years ago

We don't watch tv during the day. At night after dinner I go on the computer & he reads his pocket books (westerns). He always puts the 60's music on so I can listen to that. When we go to bed I watch whatever I want because he is asleep by 7:30. Even if there is something he wants to watch he always falls asleep. Good thing we have a tv in the bedroom.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Mary506
  • susanjf_gw
    7 years ago

lol...mary...we have TV's all over the place...but we do watch some things together, and then when I can't stand games, I head down the hall to my little nest...I end up sleeping there half the time....I put our old king bed in this itty bitty room....we used to sleep 3 dgd's on it when they were younger and visiting...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked susanjf_gw
  • Embothrium
    7 years ago

Closest approximation to a spouse has it on much of the time, usually tuned to murder investigation shows and other grimness. It's her house, s-o-o-o...

But often I can get it changed to something I want during particular times, like the battery of serials on PBS Sunday nights.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Embothrium
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

One TV, although we can watch TV shows or programs from the DVR using a tablet or any of our several PCs (Dish Sling feature). My wife might watch 60-90 minutes a few evenings a week. Occasionally we'll watch something together from Netflix or Amazon.

I don't watch TV programs at all except for games of a few different sports. I never watch sports news or talk programs. The TV is mostly hers to use, my games don't conflict time-wise with when she wants to watch shows.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • nanny98
    7 years ago

Once DH retired our togetherness got re-arranged. We DO stuff together and relax separately, or so it seems, and it kinda makes sense. He can watch Tennis 24/7....10 minutes is my max....I don't get it. He has tried to "catch up" on ALL the baseball and football games he missed during his 48 working years as well as (OHMG News) every old movie ever made...from the 30's on. I rarely watch TV but do watch TV shows on my computer via Netflix and PBS mostly. We might catch a "newsworthy" documentary "event" (not politics for me) or something, together, otherwise we just do together things like gardening or projects, shopping, appointments (I don't drive anymore) exercise club, meeting friends or eating out and travel. I read a lot too and try to stay warm, so I keep the living room too warm for most of the family and it is also very quiet......my haven. I really do not like not knowing where he is....and don't like being in a situation where I can't get help....too many falls for me...a couple for him; so we have to watch out for each other. That's getting old (62 years+) together.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nanny98
  • User
    7 years ago

DH and I have very similar tastes in many things, including the tv. I am very lucky that we don't have golf on 24/7, and both enjoy limited sports viewing. Some shows he doesn't care that I just watch myself, but we generally try to watch the things we really enjoy together.

Binge together, too.

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

DH is fond of watching TV, me not so much. We do watch the news together on the big TV, then he goes into the computer room to watch on the smaller set. I shouldn't say that I don't watch TV, because that's all I do when I mute the flat screen most evenings, that is, I periodically watch but don't listen. I enjoy reading the news crawl that many news channels have.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked stacey_mb
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

married 42 years..almost always in the same room with the TV on but when I think about it I've always had a book(or now a tablet or phone)..we've laughed a million times talking about the time he gave me a black eye as we were both going for the remote that was on the table in front of us..he won and goes "Aha" and got me in the eye with his elbow after he grabbed it..it's also funny when he falls asleep and I steal the remote and he wakes up and mumbles "I was watching that"..yeah right..with his eyes closed?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Oh nicholsworth55 I'm that one who's asleep but somehow manage to say "I'm watching that" at the slightest move by DH to turn tv off

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bossyvossy
  • fran1523
    7 years ago

During my 35 year marriage we always had separate tvs. We'd end up watching together maybe 3 or 4 hours a week. My significant other and I always watch together but it drives me nuts. He likes sports and we disagree on politics so talk shows are out. I end up doing a lot of compromising because he's such a good guy. We're only together three nights a week so I catch up on my shows the other four nights.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked fran1523
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

We both go to sleep watching Adult Swim programming on Cartoon Network. Comedy shows that are mindless, just the thing I need to drift off :-)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

Well..........I'm in the same room but we have totally different tastes in television. I watch very little tv. No weekly series. I watch cooking shows and a little PBS sometimes. He likes old westerns and violent movies....I guess you'd call them action. I lost interest in tv when I was in jr high and I haven't watched very much since then. I am usually on the computer. I do like to watch documentaries and watch them on youtube.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • User
    7 years ago

I'm another one who likes to drift off with the tv on. I like to stream reruns of shows and it lulls me to sleep. At some point in the night, the Roku screen bounces around and when I get up to use the bathroom, I turn the tv off.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I watch TV with my dogs. They obviously approve of my taste in shows as they have never once tried to get the remote off the side table.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lucillle
  • ldstarr
    7 years ago

We have no TV, so can't "share" that together. Most evenings, we're in the same room either reading or on our respective tablet/laptop. We'll frequently stop and talk about something we just saw/read or remembered from our day.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ldstarr
  • share_oh
    7 years ago

We try but my dh almost always falls asleep! He likes documentaries and I like sitcoms. Fortunately we have a dvr so we can each record what we want and watch it without the other if need be.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked share_oh
  • User
    7 years ago

My DH falls asleep a lot, too! In fact, if there's something I know he really wants to watch on the dvr, or a movie I want to rent, I will decide based upon how sleepy I think he is.

Watching a movie we've been wanting to see is a non-starter on a weeknight.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

We've got 1 tv and we love the same shows. When we can, we watch PBS cooking shows on the weekend. We love Jacques Pepin, ATK and Sarah Moulton. Our interests are the same, neither of us likes the sitcoms and we do like Scandal, Suits etc etc.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jasdip
  • OklaMoni
    7 years ago

Marilyn my ex-husband watched TV like yours does. We did not watch TV together except ever once in a while, when he found something he thought I would enjoy, and came in, to tell me about it, and want to watch it with me. With other words, I never got to see the beginning of shows he wanted to watch with me.

I love being able to watch what and when I want to now. :)

Moni

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OklaMoni
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

My late husband never watched TV. Not ever. The only time I remember him watching anything on TV was during the results of one of the presidential elections, and then only for a few minutes while standing in the doorway. So the short answer is no. LOL

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Alisande
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

Alisande, that sounds like an ideal man to me!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

Yeah, Marilyn, he was pretty cool. :-)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Alisande
  • chisue
    7 years ago

Jasdip -- You watch Suits? We just discovered it on Amazon Prime and are near the end of Season 3. This morning's TV news reports that Prince Harry is dating "Rachel"!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chisue
  • katlan
    7 years ago

Sometimes. We watch Survivor together. We have totally different tastes in shows. He is flabbergasted that I watch The Walking Dead but don't like to watch all the crime/murder shows he watches. He also watches hunting and fishing shows. I'll watch fishing sometimes. I watch HGTV, DIY and QVC, he leaves the room, haha.

We have a tv in our bedroom, the LR and the den.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked katlan
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

Yes, usually we watch tv together until 8pm when he goes to bed. on weekends we might watch different tv's.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

My "tv partner" and I watch tv together. NOT my husband, as I am done with those. He and I watch almost the same things. He records somethings outside of my happy places. He'll watch those when he's on vacation and I am not. Other than that, it stays on whichever show he or I picks.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

No. The television is hubby's toy and the computer is my toy.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lindaohnowga
  • FlamingO in AR
    7 years ago

Yes. We have 2 TVs but they are back to back, LR and kitchen, so we have to watch the same show if we are together or in different rooms. The audio demands it as we have an open floor plan. It's OK if one of us isn't interested in the show, he works sudoku puzzles or reads or I read on my iPad. If I'm cooking, I get to control the show but I also control it in the LR. We DVR almost everything so we never watch commercials. We like most of the same shows fortunately.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked FlamingO in AR
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

Oh gosh no. I watch procedural shows (NCIS, Criminal minds, Bull and a couple of comedies - looooove Big Bang Theory) which he doesn't care for and he likes to watch ????. I actually have no idea - a little sports, economic shows,.

Although I introduced him to Don Lemon and now we watch him together.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked blfenton
  • User
    7 years ago

Sometimes but mostly we watch different things. The only caveat is that we still want to be in the same room with each other so he uses a head set with the computer in the living room and streams what he wants to watch, while I use the tv. His "tv" space doesn't make for the nicest living room decor wise, but what can we do? The options were very limited.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Absolutely every night and when he is home during the day . When I am here alone I watch days of our lives and the few shows he doesn't care for . In general we like the same shows and watch together .

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX