SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_andrewes

Landscape drainage problem

Carebear3117
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are landscaping our brand new yard and we have some drainage issues in our backyard. Some of the issues I believe I am to blame for but now I need to come up with a way to fix the problems and I would be grateful for your suggestions.

Our backyard lot is approximately 40' X 40'. It is quite sloped away from our home with drainage swales on three sides of our yard. We have a major swale at the back that drains to the right heading down the hill to the large storm pond about 300 feet away. There are 4 yards that partially drain into our yard as they are higher than our yard. It is set up so all the yards in this "swale" area drain down the hill to the storm pond. We only have above ground surface drainage going to the swale as all of the yards downspouts are drained into the underground storm sewer.

One of the issues is there is a low spot where my swale meets the neighbour's yard and water just pools there. The contributing issues are: 1) My understanding was that the yard was supposed to be graded so that the surface water drains into the swale area (the last 6.5 feet against the back fence) and then continue down the hill to the storm pond. I found out after the fact that the grading was done so the water drains before the swale and now I have put my shed there and it can't be moved. 2) Originally there was grass in the swale area to help with erosion. Since I didn't want to mow a strip of grass behind my flower bed I had a contractor remove the grass and put fabric and rock in the swale (as per my landscape designers plan). I don't think the contractor did a good job regrading after the grass was taken out and now I have pooling happening as my swale is lower than my neighbour who still has the grass in his swale. 3) I have tried to regrade the low spot beside my shed but the soil there is heavy clay that gets so saturated that the water doesn't want to drain away. 4) I don't want to pile a bunch of soil against my pressure treated shed base in order to fix the grading so now I am stuck as to how to drain the water from this low spot and down the hill to the storm pond.

The swale area is located in an easement of my property so I can't install a french drain or a catch basin without permission from the city. I will have to wait until spring to try to deal with the pooling but it is causing me stress as I don't want to rot my shed base that we spent so much time building. Our brand new shed is held up by this shed base and to move it would be crazy. I am also not allowed to plants trees and shrubs in the swale or block the movement of water. My shed base is outside of the easement area by 1.5-2 feet.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do with this area? If I raise the grade should the soil be compacted clay at the proper sloping grade with topsoil on top? Or should I try to make the soil permeable so the water soaks in instead of running off? What would I do next to my shed base so that wet clay soil is not piled up against the wood and to keep the water away from that area?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Carebear

The low spot is next to my shed. I can't get the water to drain over my neighbour's grass and down the hill to the storm pond.

This photo was taken during our fence building. The drainage is supposed to go down the hill into the swale.

A close up of the low spot by my shed.

The swale shown at the bottom on the designer's drawing. I even moved my shed two feet uphill from where she had placed the shed so that I would be further away from the swale drainage.

Another swale on the left side of my property that also has issues with drainage due to the compacted heavy clay soil.

Comments (9)