SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24205393

Dark Spot on Uba Tuba Granite

User
7 years ago

A dark spot has developed around my faucet handle in the bathroom. I tried to do a poultice of baking soda and water, but it hasn't seemed to help. Does anybody have any other ideas of what I could do?

More information:

Granite was installed maybe a year and a half ago? It is Uba Tuba, which I thought was supposed to be somewhat tough when it came to stains?

I had some trouble finding a good sealer, but the best one that seemed to work was 511... TBH, I think it was about a year ago that I did it, and dark spots have been happening temporarily on the granite when it gets wet. (I know, I should have resealed sooner). At first I just thought it was wet around the handle, and that is why it was discolored, but then it just stayed this way.

I just recaulked the backsplash, and made sure the caulk was labeled for granite and marble. It doesn't seem to be causing issues on the rest of the bead, but maybe it is related? Did clean up with acetone and alcohol.

Also maybe related is that I had to take off the bells of both faucet handles to recaulk. The left faucet handle does not have the discoloration.

I made the poultice yesterday morning, and when I pulled it off this morning it was still a little wet. Is that normal? I had trouble applying plastic wrap and tape due to the handle, but did my best. Also, I can't tell if my eyes are deceiving me, or the poultice made it worse? :( (last picture is post poultice).

Thank you for any guidance!

Comment (1)