SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrismadigan65

Enlarging kitchen - layout help please

Chris T
7 years ago

This is the first real renovation we have ever done and would love some input from the experts here! I have learned so much from reading posts over the last many months.

We are taking down the wall between our kitchen and dining room and will relocate the DR to the family room (we never use it - we sit in the sunroom instead). So far, we have received two layout options, mainly for the location of the appliances. We will meet with the cabinet guy in a few weeks to determine type and number of cabinets. I have attached several pictures. First are the 2 layouts we have been given. They are similar to each other - only the fridge and wall oven/microwave locations are switched. The pantry will be at the far end where the 2 doors are shown (on the wall that backs up to the garage). Next is a detailed drawing with measurements that my father lovingly made for us. He mainly focused on the kitchen measurements rather than the dining room since we were not considering taking the wall down originally. The powder room bumps into the kitchen and we have looked into relocating that but have decided to keep that where it is. The last picture is the current layout of our first floor.

We are a family of 4 with two 13 year olds who do cook and help out with meals. I cook most meals from scratch. We are often all in there at the same time and the lack of prep space and the crowded feel to the kitchen are driving us all a little crazy. We host most holidays (around 10-12 people) and have dinner with the parents and MIL weekly.

I would like to have a 36" gas cooktop (am thinking of Thermador or Bosch) with a wall oven underneath. I would have a second wall oven and micro above it on a separate wall. We considered a 36" gas range but the prices are pretty high and I can get the cooktop and wall oven for less money. Since this is a big renovation, we are trying to cut costs where we can.

We always enter the house from the mudroom which is where the 40" doorway is.

We are not including a table in the kitchen since we have a breakfast room with a table that seats 6. I would prefer comfortable seating so friends and family can hang out while we are cooking.

This is long but I hope it is helpful information.

I would appreciate any feedback/thoughts you have! Thank you!

Comments (15)