SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

plumbers don't want to put sink on existing drain

Pyewacket
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a near-60 year old home where they had originally installed the washer, dryer, and laundry tub in the kitchen, so there is an existing drain and the old style garden-faucet outlets for the water supply.

About 10 years ago, a former owner moved the washer & Dryer into the garage, removed the laundry tub completely, capped the drain opening into the wall in the kitchen, and plumbed the drain for the washer (now in the garage) through the wall of a closet behind the kitchen wall and into the original drain line in the kitchen from the closet side. It is, btw, attached to the original drain line well below the drain opening in the kitchen, which was plumbed at roughly "standard" height for a sink drain.

I have had a couple of plumbers out to look at this and various other stuff - getting a plumber to come out for anything short of a complete bathroom remodel is proving difficult, and of the handful of guys who have shown up (like 2 or 3), one of them admitted that the only reason he came out at all was to look around my house because he was "curious".

!!!!! Talk about creepy!

Anyway, it seems to me that it is a simple issue of just connecting up to the existing drain and water supply lines (which are copper behind the wall, the drain line is PVC or similar and is capped on the surface of the kitchen wall where the old laundry tub used to be).

Plumbers don't seem to want to do this. I was told I would have to tear the wall out before they would even look at it.

Seriously. This drain is currently in use with no problems and has been for 50 years. The drain line is sloped from the washing machine and also functions with no problems.

Why is replacing the very type of sink that was originally installed when the house was built such a problem? There used to be a laundry tub there - I would like to put it back. What is objectionable about that?

And the plumbers I've had come out only had nonsense answers for that question, eg it boiled down to "we don't want to".

Comments (9)