SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Best place to grow elderberries?

We just bought our first home and I have outdoor space for the first time ever! The house is built into a hill so I don't have a ton of flat space. The house faces west, and there is perhaps 6-8 feet of flat lawn on the south side and in the front. However, due to the proximity of the neighboring houses, fences and privacy hedges, none of this flat lawn gets much sun.

We do, however, have a large, sloped area in the backyard that I would love make use of. The former owners sort of let it go wild, as you can see in the photos below (taken from our second story). The first photo, which is the north side of the lawn, gets pretty good sun all day since our side of the fence faces south. The large maple in this photo is coming down tomorrow - unfortunately, it's rotten at the base and there are large limbs that extend into the neighbors' yard and over their house, so it's a hazard for sure. That is the only tree shading the area between the stairs and fence.

The south side of the yard is also fenced in, with chain link that is largely overgrown by the neighbor's plants. I like the privacy this affords, but it means that anything we might grow along that fence isn't going to get full sun (unless it is taller than the fence). This side of the yard is also more steeply sloped and harder to access than the north side, although I am working on figuring out a way to access at least part of this area.

Anyway, I would love some suggestions from elderberry experts on where in this mess I might have some success with elderberries! I love both the fruits and flowers and would love to recreate my grandmother's pies and jams. I was thinking that the area along the north fence might work, but if elderberries are shade-tolerant enough to do well along the south fence it might be nice to have them there instead, since it's a somewhat difficult spot. All thoughts appreciated!

Comments (3)