SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohno000

Syzigium cordatum (water berry) drying out in large pot.

Hi everyone

Some advice needed.

I have a 2.3m tall syzigium cordatum which I don't have space for in my garden. It's currently in a large terra-cotta pot. I've been trying to water it 2x a week and it's loosing a lot of leaves this week and generally looking pretty crispy. It doesn't help that we are entering into the dry, hot and very VERY windy season here in Cape Town. It's only going to get worse. It seems clear to me that it's just too dry in the terra-cotta pot as well as sunny and windy spot.

I was considering 3 options to try save the tree.

1. Transplant the tree temporarily into the ground, and dig it up next winter. I intend to plant the tree in the ground, in the footpath outside our building once the council has given me permission to do so. Council will only allow trees planted in their streets etc in winter or late autumn due to the severe water restrictions we have here. So if I were to plant it in the ground temporarily, and then move it again in a 6 months would it survive the transplant?

2. Dig up the tree, empty the pot (I can't lift it while it's full of soil), move the pot to a part of our courtyard which doesn't receive any direct sun (but which still gets the wind) and then replant the tree with a soil that will retain more moisture.

{{attachment:2309616}}

3. Same as above but I paint the inside of the pot with a sealant to stop excessive moisture evaporation through the terra-cotta. If so, how do I stop the tree drying out over the course of the day while I am washing the inside of the pot and waiting for the sealant to dry etc. etc. repot in smaller pot and keep damp?

A friend recently gave me this tree, it was an extraordinary gift, but it's been a source of worry for me since we haven't any long term space for it in our small courtyard. Hence my looking to plant in the ground outside our block.

I know this is a tree species that tends to prefer damp conditions (hence the name) and is often seen growing next to rivers in the wild. I don't think the terra-cotta pot is doing it any favors but the pot was the largest container I had at my disposal. Otherwise it would fall over in the wind constantly.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Comment