SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skiingchance

Thoughts on house plan

7 years ago

I am posting to get some thoughts on this house plan. I have previously posted about a plan that we wanted to build. We are no longer going with that plan for several reason and are looking for something else. I've spent a great deal of time reading this website and learning from it.

We are currently in the process of trying to find and architect but haven't had luck so far. My wife and I have met with a couple different ones but agreed that neither seemed to be a fit. In the process we are still looking up plans and think we may have found one that we both like that fits us and our property well.

A little about us, My wife and I are in our early thirties. We have on daughter who is 13 months old. We don't plan on more kids but who knows. We both like a simple country/farmhouse look and feel.

The house will be build on 4 acres that is oddly shaped and sloped. The house and shop are in the flattest area of the property. We have all of our views to the south. We are on the side of a hill with the peak being to our west. The shop is 44x60. There will not be a basement.

Looking at the plans the front door will face north and the design would be mirrored with the garage and master bed to the west. I do recognize that the master bed will be hotter being on the west side. One thought is to move the garage/detach it to block the sun on that side or plant some trees to block the later day sun.

After reading this site I know some questions our critiques that may arise so I'll answer them ahead.

We don't like the kitchen layout. Would change it to an L shape with an island and lose the walk through. Similar to the attached pictures.The refer would move close to the bottom right side of the kitchen in the attached layout. I know the kitchen itself isn't on a outside wall but my wife loves this setup and I am ok with it.

Would would build and finish the upstairs bed and bonus room but not the home theater area, it would be left unfinished.

We would change the rear doors to a single that opens closer the the breakfast nook instead of the middle of the wall.

I don't mind the long powder room. Would change to door to open out.

I live in central Washington, yes we have winter and no I don't mind no coat closet by the front door. Our other design didn't have one and we don't see the need. We have a coat rack by the door and it is what we both like.

I would move the master toilet into the bathroom and convert that into more storage.

There would be a man door out of the garage. There would be a mud room area just before entering the house from the garage.

My wife and I both want the master separate from the other main floor bedrooms. We know our child is young but it is what we want. She won't be young forever and we hope to be here for many years. We would put effort into soundproofing the ceiling from the upstairs.

I would add windows to both sides of the downstairs bedrooms.

Those are all of the critiques I can see but I'm sure there is plenty more that I am not seeing. I trying to put as much information out as I can because I feel many people provide hardly any. Like I said we haven't stopped looking for an architect but we do like this design. I would love feedback and opinions because I certainly don't know everything.

Comments (37)