SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fullmoonsoul

Home remodel ideas/thoughts

Kim J
7 years ago

Hello!

We are currently renting a basic square 2 story 3 bedroom 1 bath house built in the mid-1930s. The house is roughly 27 sq ft x 26 sq ft. The 1st floor has a living room, kitchen and dining room, the upstairs has 1 bath, 3 good sized bedrooms. We are looking to purchase this from our wonderful landlords next year, but there are definitely some areas that need work. The house is probably worth just about $95k, but the area is very good, and we have houses from $50k through millions in our little island.

Can anyone give me any input on if they have done these types of remodels, or are a professional? I don't want to bring in a professional until I'm more focused in my vision. I'm in a whirlwind of ideas, but here are the main facts:

- the foundation will need some work, nothing major

- the house and garage will need painting

- the kitchen is cute, but provides very little storage

- the floors needs a refinishing (original hardwoods)

- the bathroom is atrocious and needs to be gutted

Here are my ideas:

1. Extend the house 15 feet into the backyard, creating a bigger kitchen, a small half bath and small dining room, and extend the living room by a few feet. Extend the upstairs as well, creating a master suite with a bathroom and walk-in closet.

2. Gut the main bath, allocate the second bedroom to the master suite, creating a master bath, bedroom and walk-in closet. (This will make the house 1400 sq ft 2 Bdrm/2Ba home)

3. Knock out a wall downstairs, create a bigger kitchen/dining combo, add a half bath near the dining room.

Ideally, we'll be able to get at least $35k for remodeling, and we have relatives that could help with some of the work as well as our own work (I have a friend that can help me with flooring, for instance). We're not high-end people, I'm pretty good at budgeting, bargain hunting, making decisions and not changing once those decisions are made. This house will be our first, it's not our forever home, though. I feel like the extension is the most cost effective, will add about 400 sq ft, and increase our home's value tremendously. We also want to maintain the integrity of the look, my husband and I are both in love with antique character, so not a ton of newfangled tech or bells and whistles.

Sorry for the novel, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH