SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_787999982

Home remodel: layout ideas + furniture placement

Wendy Woo
2 years ago

I'm converting my 3-1 house to a 3-3. My biggest concern is the kitchen/dining area, which will now be one large, narrow box.

There is an arched wall opening between the living and dining room. I really like the charm of it (it matches the historic english cottage architecture of the home), but I plan to vault the ceilings since the home is dark. I think that means the arch will have to go. If so, my living, dining, and kitchen will be a giant narrow rectangle with no charm! The windows, unfortunately, on the entire entire exterior wall of the main living side face my neighbor's house (4.2 ft away). I replaced a window in the kitchen with a door to the outside so that backyard access wasn't solely from the back bedroom. I also didn't want entry to the back bedroom to be directly from the kitchen, so I added a laundry/mudroom. I included rough dimensions, but I couldn't add windows (sorry!). All exterior walls/rooms have 2 to 3 large windows.

Any thoughts for how I to design furniture/kitchen appliances with this new layout, or alternative layouts for a 3-3?

Original layout as 3-1:

Remodel 3-3 layout:

All ideas welcome!

Comments (8)