SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Reliability between brands: gas, free standing ranges 30” wide

Our 10 year old Maytag Gemini gas range needs replacement.

We really liked our Gemini, which was trouble free til a spilled cup of tea shorted out the ignition and the burners could not be removed. The only problems we really had were: not enough room to use all 4 burners at the same time with large pans. I believe that is because the control knobs were on the top surface right side, so you lose top surface area.

My instinct is to buy the same item to replace it. The current Gemini model runs $1500. It looks much like the one we have, with a few tweaks. It DOES have controls on the front. I now think that will be a plus, whatever we end up choosing. Saves space on the top cooking surface, at least. It has 5 burners instead of 4, for example.

Seems like many stoves in this range have 5 burners. Though I don’t know how useful that is. How will you fit all the pans on? It's not uncommon for me to have 4 pans running at the same time, and still need one more.

But are there better brands and options? This stove has 2 ovens, and we use the smaller oven constantly, for broiling mostly. I would want the same feature.

On these forums people are mostly talking about the high end ranges, which are all wider than the 30” space we have. On another thread someone mentioned a site called AJ Madison to compare. I will still probably buy from our local huge, excellent appliance store, where we have bought all our appliances. But I need to do my homework going in.

Plugging in my parameters (30”, double oven, gas, under $2000 (I can go higher but I’d want a good reason, for a range of that small size)) the brands I see are LG, GE, and Whirlpool. Maytag Gemini is not shown on the AJ Madison site, but I know it is still being made.

https://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/30+Inch%3BFreestanding%3BGas%3B%241%2C000+-+%241%2C499%2C%241%2C500+-+%241%2C999%3BDouble+Oven%3BRanges/N~25+4294965554+4294965548+2157+4294964459+18+19

I am prejudiced against LG from prior appliance searches and negative reviews when I was looking for a new washer. Am I wrong when it comes to stoves? Please tell me.

GE: no experience with that brand and stoves.

Whirlpool: all the builders model appliances that came with this house 30 years ago were Whirlpool. No problems with them, but they were all really basic and were replaced 11 years ago when we did our kitchen remodel. Any 30-years-old reference point I might have is probably irrelevant now.

So I would appreciate and information you might have to help me narrow my search between these brands.

I am having trouble posting comments. I can originate a post, but not answer, even on my own thread. I have been in touch with Houzz and none of their suggestions worked. I think its a browser incompatibility issue. But even though I can’t answer, I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Comment