SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kercove

Protecting belongings during renovation

kercove
7 years ago

I know this board is more focused on building from the ground up, but I'm hoping some of you might have insight on how to prep your house for a large-scale remodel. We are going to be taking our roof off, finishing a second story, and residing the whole house. As we have young children, we've decided to move out for the majority of the renovation.

Does anyone have tips on how to pack everything that we aren't taking to our temporary home (staying with family)? We want to keep everything out of the way of the workers, and also protect it from all of the dust. Should I be worried about the house shaking during demo and breaking glassware that's inside a cabinet? Would you pack everything into boxes and wrap it as if it were going on a moving truck? Or just pile as much as we can into the most protected areas. We have a garage, one room that is not under the main roof, and a large basement in which to store things. I just want to make sure we're not leaving ourselves open to damage by not thinking it through!

Thanks!!

Comments (9)