SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Do I belong here?

weedyacres
11 years ago

We're going to shortly close on a 1920-vintage house that needs an interior gut job. 940 square feet, 2 bed/1 bath over low overhead basement. Fixed up, it'll be worth maybe $60K.

So this renovation is not going to include restoring never-existent beautiful architectural details, uncovering hidden gems, or creating a period masterpiece. It will include putting metal plates in the basement walls to keep them from bowing further, replacing some of the damaged and/or wallpapered lath & plaster walls with gypsum, building a more functional kitchen and adding storage where we can.

We're DIY-ers with solid skills who aren't afraid to learn or try something new. Is this the appropriate forum to pose my questions that come up, or is general remodeling a better fit? If this is mostly old house afficionados, I don't want to offend your sense of old house taste and I'll go back to the other boards. But if this is where you help coach us on how to repair plaster because it'll be faster or cheaper than new gypsum, or have tips on old basements, then let me know and I'll hang around and pester you.

Comments (9)