SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Compact Jade Pruning - need advice and opinions

Crenda 10A SW FL
7 years ago

I'm afraid I've let this guy grow wild a little too long! My weather has finally cooled to below 90 and nights are about to sneak into the upper 60s. So I think I can finally do some pruning without too much stress on the plant.

This Jade has about an inch of trunk that splits almost immediately, and the two branches also split after about an inch. The 4 branches are too long and splayed apart. So where and how much should I prune? Will some of these branches stand up after I remove the weight?

Here's a top view - it's in a 6-inch azalea pot.

And a side view -

Here you can see it is growing almost like 2 different plants -

And a closeup of the trunk -

I need to repot, so if you want a picture of the roots and the trunk that is under the mix, I can do that later today. This mix had NAPA in it and now feels hard. My plants stay outside all year long in full sun.

I don't mind going in steps or jumping in and whacking a lot. Should I separate them? I was advised against doing that when the plant was young, but they probably assumed I would do a better job at occasional pruning!

Thanks for your help! Right now I keep walking around and around the plant trying to figure out where to start!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz