SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariec_6a

Newbie needs pruning advice for variegated Jade

mariec_6a
6 years ago

Hello everyone!

I recently rescued this variegated Jade, which I think has a lot of potential to become a gorgeous strong plant/tree. I am totally new at this and been browsing to find answers how/where to prune jades as well as posting on the cacti/succulent forum but I'm still indecisive to how/where/how much to prune the Jade I have as its in a situation that I wasn't able to find and relate with on here.

Problem: There isn't one branch on this jade that is going upward, they are all falling down on the sides, leaving the middle completely empty. It is very 'top heavy' and was not well-taken care of (lots of brown spots), so i definitely wanted to freshen it up by removing as much as damaged leaves possible for a new fresh start. On the cacti/succulent forum I was kindly given advices such as using bonsai wire to help stabilizing the branches until it becomes strong enough on its own, as well as possibly cutting the main stem into 2 plants to then reposition it more upwards. I was also curious to hear what the bonsai connoisseurs would have to say and recommend.

Goal: I would like it to be definitely less wide than it is currently, with a 'cleaner' look, and to have it going upwards.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help.

Marie

Main stem is a bit buried underneath the soil, and as you can see in this picture, it splits into 2 stems going sideways. This is the 'Left' side of the plant.

I've marked the 'Left' side with A,B,C to help visualize which is where.

And below is showing the "Right" side marked with D, E, F, G.

Interior view

Exterior view

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services