SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
germanshield

Comparing two very different full system quotes

Cody
7 years ago

This is my first time using this forum, so sorry if this isn't the right place. This is going to be a wall of text, so feel free to skip to the quotes (or ignore me, hah).

I purchased my home a year and a half ago, knowing that the HVAC goodies were on their last legs. They are two 10 SEER 2 ton Rheems original from '96, and I'm not actually sure what my furnaces are (also two, in the attic and a much less important issue for my location). I was able to struggle through the summer in order to hopefully get a slightly better deal in this season.

Just got my most recent quote from a company, and tossed out 4 others. I'm now comparing two (the new one and an older one that I hope to negotiate on since it's not the middle of the summer now). My main problem is that they are two very different quotes and I'm not sure how to compare them or decide what would be best for my situation.

For reference, my attic is a limiting factor because of clearance. I believe a Carrier product would fit, but not something like a standard Trane. I have a two story, 1900 sq ft home that is cooled just fine by what I'm currently working with.

Quote #1 is from the middle of summer and the engineer that came out was the most professional of any of the 6+ I've had take a look at my setup. His quote includes re-engineering my attic furnaces. Quote #2 is from a week ago and more of a one to one replacement, albeit at a higher cost (more equipment). I'd be fine going with option #1 if I could be sure that I'm not losing capability or setting myself up for future headache. Anyway, here are the gists of my quotes:

Quote #1 - "I’m recommending removing both systems in the attic and installing one larger Trane complete two stage machine with Trane zoning. System will need to be designed horizontally for proper engineering."

• Trane XC 80% afue 80,000 BTU two stage, variable speed gas furnace with a energy saver
  • ECM D/C drive blower and the Trane 3 ton XR17 TWO STAGE high efficiency R410a Puron air conditioner
  • Trane all aluminum cooling coil.
  • Engineer system for horizontal application
  • Secondary drain pan and emergency water solenoid cut-off switch for flood protection
  • Install new custom fabricated externally insulated metal supply and return plenums
  • High Efficiency AprilAire MERV-13 media air cleaner system. I recommend minimum MERV 13 (minimum
  • efficiency reporting value)
  • Integrated Trane (2) zone control system to isolate independently by thermostatic controls: Includes Zone panel, motorized control dampers, freeze protection device, low voltage transformer, 2 WIFI enabled thermostats, Trane's top of the line Comfortlnk series XL950.
  • 48 months interest free financing
  • WARRANTY: 10 YEARS PARTS & LABOR ON ALL COMPONENTS, 10 years on compressor and coils and lifetime on heat exchanger.
  • COST: $12,336 (with financing instead of the possible rebates)

Quote #2 - "Installation of Two new Carrier Performance 16 SEER 2 Ton Complete Systems.Systems include all New High Velocity supply Grills Seal all boots to sheetrock u/s and all new plenums. Extend Drains pass units outside and install cement blocks under units so they are not upstructed by tree roots. Also Merv 13 Aprilaire air cleaners."

• Carrier 24ACC624A003 Performance Series 16 SEER
  • Carrier CNPVP3014ALA Evaporator Coil
  • Carrier 58CTW045---1--12 Performance Series 80% afue Gas Furnace Two Stage
  • Carrier TP-WEM01 Performance Series Thermostat
  • New duct covers on all ducts
  • Attic hatch seal cover
  • 36 months interest free financing
  • Warranty: Lifetime Workmanship Guarantee
  • 20 Year Heat Exchanger
  • 10 Year Parts
  • 10 Year Compressor
  • 5 Year Parts on Tstat
  • 2 Year Labor
  • COMPLETE ZONE WARRANTY: ZONE HOME SOLUTIONS WILL PROVIDE A 10 YEAR LABOR WARRANTY AS LONG MAINTENANCE AGREEMENT IS ACTIVE AND DOES NOT LAPSE THROUGH ZONE HOME SOLUTIONS HVAC DIVISION. DOES NOT INCLUDE DIAGNOSTIC FEES.
  • COST: $14,199 (with financing instead of the possible rebates)

As I stated, I'm hoping I can shave some off of Quote #1 since it's a different season. If I'm able to do that, it makes my decision a bit more difficult. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is the Atlanta/Alpharetta GA area by the way. I'm sure pricing is different all over the country.

Thanks!

Comments (8)