SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Are you a counter? Of carbs, fats, calories, sodium, etc.?

shambo
7 years ago

I'm asking because I keep running into situations where people expect an exact sodium count for for everything. (I think most of you know that I cook low sodium due to my husband's health issues.)

I've never been sold on tracking each tiny milligram of sodium in every item of every recipe. For me, a recipe was basically a guideline or inspiration. I learned to cook the way my mother and grandmother did – a pinch of this, a spoonful of that – no exact recipes. I would call it “ad lib” cooking. I mainly adjusted and adapted recipe ideas, very rarely ever following a recipe as written. Most main dishes – from spaghetti sauce to meatloaf to tuna casserole to beef stew to split pea soup – I just winged, not even glancing at an official recipe. I was (and still am) an avid experimenter and fiddler. So detailed tracking of sodium, or anything else, in recipes doesn't really fit with my cooking style.

Same with calories. I lost 20 pounds a couple of years ago but not from calorie counting. I know there are all kinds of apps out there to track just about everything, and a lot of people use them. So keeping track is much easier now.

Just curious about how you handle this issue. It seems like calculating carbs, fats, calories, and sodium is pervasive. And I often feel like I'm swimming against the tide.

Comments (23)