SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbillan

Will be making an offer on a home - need advice

7 years ago

A home just went on the market today that we really like here in Winnipeg. We plan on making an offer. We are not working with an agent and don't plan to for various reasons. House is listed at $430, and is assessed by the city at $390. Based on comparables I've seen, the house is worth around $410. Basement is finished except no bathroom (plumbing is roughed in though), where most homes do...so that's another $5-10k, which could turn off some buyers. No fireplace either which most homes have. Those aren't deal-breakers for us, but they do deduct from what the house is worth. We want the house but don't want to over pay. There is an open house this Sunday.

What should our strategy be in making an offer? Make the offer before or after the open house? If before, the sellers are unlikely to accept less than listing price since its only been on the market 2 days. I don't have an agent so the sellers won't need to pay the 2 percent commission, which is about $10k. Or do I make the offer after the open house when it's more likely I may be able to get the home at a price we are more comfortable with?

The home is near a train track, so that will likely turn off some potential buyers (this is a different home than the one I previously asked about on these forums). And right now we are in a buyers market.

Thoughts? Should I make the offer a day before the open house? Or wait until after the open house? Downside is if we wait until after the open house we may have more competition, but more likely to get the house at a lower price.

I'm perfectly comfortable paying what the house is worth...not looking for any type of unreasonable discount. But we do want the house.

Thoughts?

Comments (27)