SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluegray56

Silicone liner left in oven during self-cleaning - now what?

bluegray56
7 years ago

I forgot to remove the silicone oven liner from the oven before running the self-cleaning cycle. It sort of melted to the bottom of the oven (below the element). I discovered this at the end of the cycle when I opened the door and I quickly removed what I could of the liner (in pieces). I'm now left with a white "film" all over the oven - bottom, sides, door, top. I've tried everything I think is safe (Dobie pad, green scrubby pad, Bar Keeper's Friend, and finally the more aggressive pads that are kind of like steel wool) and nothing has removed this white "film". It sort of looks like the inside of the oven (formerly dark grey) has been spray-painted with a light film of white paint and it's at least that tenacious!
The liners aren't supposed to be used in an oven set above 500F, and I know it was hotter than that during the self-cleaning cycle. I've aired out the kitchen as much as I can but we were in the room with the oven running for several hours without realizing what was going on. Now that this appears to be a permanent situation, I don't know whether the oven is safe to use and if it will continue to produce fumes that we shouldn't be breathing if we do use it.
I've searched online and found little to help, especially on the safety of using the oven now that it's damaged. I also called KitchenAid and they weren't any help. If anyone can advise if there is a way to remove this white "film", and/or advise on the safety of using the oven, I would be very appreciative.

Comments (34)