SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bshanley_gw

Roof Leak, Possibly from Bathroom Vent

bshanley
7 years ago

The day before Hurricane Matthew, I noticed a water stain on the ceiling, around the light fixture in the closet next to the bathroom. During the hurricane, the water dripped out of the fixture into a bucket I put under it. The roof itself is made of architectural shingles, about 6 years old and has never leaked. I suspected the leak is coming from the bathroom vent pipe, next to the closet. I went up there today for a look-see, and here's what I found: the rubber boot around the pipe was tight and solid. The nails/fasteners on the lower part of the flashing showed some rust on top, but the roof cement seemed tight around the perimeters of the nails. There was a build up of pine needles between the top of the boot and the shingles above. I might otherwise call a roofer, but they're 24/7 on hurricane damage. I've read about the dangers of slathering everything with roofing cement. Do you think it could be as simple as the pine needles causing water to back up under the shingles above them? If so, would a thin application of roofing cement counteract the pine needles that are sure to reappear? And a little bit on the nailheads? Oh, it is extremely difficult to the point of almost being impossible for me to examine the roof from the inside. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH