SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiegal8821

privacy trees that make sense

prairiegal8821
7 years ago

Hi, I'm in Northern Colorado (zone 5b), and need design help in selecting privacy trees. I just removed an Aspen that wasn't doing well and need to fill in the space. I am leaning towards an Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry near the fence and maybe a few tall narrow evergreen trees for more privacy.

Would 1 Serviceberry fill in the space (for the most part), or would planting 2 be better? Not sure if when mature, the Serviceberry trees would be too big for the space (if there were 2). I am keeping "plant in odd numbers" in mind, so if I did combine the Serviceberry with evergreens, would it be more balanced to have 3 evergreens or 1 stand-alone tree with 2 evergreens?

Thanks for the input!!! The right side of the yard gets full sun while left side gets shade in the afternoon.

The 1st pic shows the space in need; ignore the woodpecker damage on the house, that's our next project :). 2nd pic is a peach tree in the corner of the yard, and 3rd/4th pic show how the Aspen looked before it was removed (to show size) and the approximate placement of the future tree(s).

Comments (28)