what serving method do you serve thanksgiving!
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (15)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
What do you serve before the turkey?
Comments (19)Here you go Pat, it's Ann T's recipe. As you can see in the picture I do individual puffs. Ann does a full ring. La Gougere (Ann T) 1 Cup water (or half milk/halfwater) 1/3 Cup butter 1/2 Tsp salt fresh nutmeg,Grated cayenne pepper 1 Cup flour 4 eggs 1 Tbl Dijon Mustard 1 Cup gruyere cheese 1 Tsp milk extra cheese for top Bring the water/milk to a boil and add butter. When butter has~melted remove pan from heat and add flour, salt, cayenne, nutmeg, pepper and stir vigorously with a big wooden spoon. The mixture should come away from the sides of the pan and form a ball. Place mixture in the bowl of a large mixer and add one egg at a time beating well, After you add last egg continue to beat well. Mixture will be shiny. Add dijon mustard and taste for~ seasoning. Adjust to your taste. Add coarsely grated cheese. Butter a large cookie sheet and flour. Draw a small circle in the flour (about 2 inches wide) and proceed to drop the dough by tablespoon fulls around the outside of this hole, making a ring, or a crown. Dough should be piled high. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle the extra cheese over top. Bake the ring in the over for 45 minutes at 400F. Do Not Open Door. Aften baking, open the door of the oven and leave the gougere in the oven for 5 minutes. It should be firm to the touch and golden brown. My Notes: 1)Do not refrigerate batter it needs to be at room temp. Do not place on the pan until ready to cook or they will spread. Cook as close to servng as possible...best warm but OK room temp 2)Gougere are best when cooked as close to preparing the batter as possible in order to get maximum "puff" and best texture. 3)I prefer individual puffs. Scoop up a heaping teaspoon of dough and with another spoon, push it off onto the paper-lined baking sheet (it should form a mound about 1 inch in diameter). Continue with the remaining dough, leaving an inch of space between the gougeres (work in batches as necessary, the dough can stand, covered with buttered waxed paper or parchment, for up to 1/2 hour). Bake until the gougeres are puffy and light golden, about 25 minutes, switching pan positions halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving, or turn off oven and let gougeres remain in oven, with door ajar, for up to 1 hour. 4) Chopped chives make an nice addition so does roasted garlic ....See MoreA poll: Do you serve 'family style' or do you 'plate'...
Comments (33)How food is served, what is served, etc. is a bit of a touchy issue for me. I think, like everything else, different people have different lifestyles (and probably different histories). No big deal. Just as different families handle finances, discipline, decorating, and everything else differently. I really appreciate that attitude. That's the way I feel. When I'm invited to someone's home for dinner, I appreciate whatever they've done. If it's different than my own personal tastes, then I just appreciate the adventure of experiencing someone else's family culture or lifestyle. The reason it's a touchy issue for me is this: And some of us feel if you have company over, you should offer plenteous food, lots of choices, but leave to the guest which items they want to eat, and in what quantity. Just different styles That's the way my MIL feels about it, but without the "Just different styles". I've known my MIL for 30 years, and every meal I've ever had at her house offered lots of choices, tons of food, buffet-style, everything was delicious. I deeply appreciate all the effort she puts into all her meals, and they are always wonderful. But she just can't seem to accept any other way as appropriate for guests. When we were a young married couple, we almost always invited my inlaws if we had some type of special occasion or dinner. Sometimes I did a party with a theme, or served just one special entree, etc. It always clearly upset and embarrassed my MIL that I didn't have lots of choices and tons and tons of food. She tried to make up for my deficiencies by bringing lots of extra food. I'm not talking about dinners for her extended family, in which case I keep to their customs if I'm the hostess. In all the years I've known my MIL, her special meals have all been for family, no dinner parties with friends. And that's fine. Special meals involve 3 meats or more, all her regular every day homestyle vegetables dishes (mashed potatoes, peas, fried okra, etc.), served on paper plates. Basically the same as her every day meals, just more of it. And that is fine. It's wonderful, and I never have ever thought she should do anything different than that, I've always just been happy to eat it. I just wish she didn't see a special meal with only one entree, one salad, one fruit, one starch, one vegetable, and one dessert, plated and served on china as an offense against my guests. Like azzalea said, it's all good. I will be happy if you serve me on paper plates, hopefully you won't care if I serve you on china. I will be happy if you serve me mashed potatoes and peas, hopefully you won't care if I serve you marinated asparagus and fish with a garnish. I will be happy if you serve me 10 choices, all of them plain and family style. Hopefully you won't care if I go to a lot of trouble and expense to create that one special entree for you. I could go over to someone's house, step over the toys and the laundry that needs to be folded, eat hot dogs and chips that they plated on paper plates and have a wonderful evening. So I guess it just astounds me to meet someone who thinks you shouldn't invite someone over unless you're going to have 3 meats, 5 vegetables, 2 salads, 6 desserts, and deviled eggs and serve it buffet style, in a house that's immaculate. Whew! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!...See MoreHow Many Will Serve The Dreaded Casserole for Thanksgiving?
Comments (65)Linnea, here you go. Scalloped Chipotle Sweet Potatoes 1 or 2 canned chipotle peppers pureed with some of the adobo sauce 2 cups heavy cream 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin Preheat the oven to 350 F. Puree the chipotles in a food processor until smooth. Stir in cream. In a large casserole dish arrange a fourth of the sweet potatoes and pour a fourth of the cream over all. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cream, forming 4 layers. May be prepared up to this point one half hour ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Bake covered for 30 minutes, remove cover and continue baking for 30-45 minutes or until the cream has been absorbed and the potatoes are browned. ~variation of a Bobby Flay recipe...See MoreEaster Meal - What Do You Serve?
Comments (12)Ours is pretty basic, glazed baked ham (NOT spiral cut) & scalloped potatoes for sure. Probably a green salad containing a wide variety of baby greens. Maybe that pineapple casserole made with chunked pineapple, cheese, I forget what else, but it goes so good with ham! A green side dish of some sort. I'm seriously considering introducing the family to the roasted Brussels Sprouts with cranberries in a reduced Balsamic vinegar glaze (Pioneer Woman). Personally, I'd be happy with just that dish, it really is that good! Oh, and dessert is always fresh strawberry pie, even though I decided long ago that there is no such thing as good fresh strawberries in Texas. As no one else here has had fresh strawberries that don't have the hard white center, they think what we have here are good. That's okay, I just make the pie, I don't have to eat it! Rusty...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

Guest Picks: 20 Stylish Serving Trays
Get ready for holiday entertaining with trays in every shape and style
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSNeat Little Project: Make a Sturdy Wood Serving Tray
New to woodworking? This DIY wood tray project will get you closer to being an old hand
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGive Curb Appeal a Self-Serving Twist
Suit yourself with a front-yard design that pleases those inside the house as much as viewers from the street
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN16 Scrumptious Eat-In Kitchens and What They Want You to Serve
Whether apple-pie cheerful or champagne sophisticated, these eat-in kitchens offer ideas to salivate over
Full Story
HOME OFFICESHome Setups That Serve You: Designing the Office
Arrange an organized workspace that suits your habits, and watch the rest of your home become more streamlined
Full Story
LIFE13 Ways to Make Your Thanksgiving More Meaningful
Long after the stove is off, you'll feel the warmth of love and gratitude when you try these ideas this Thanksgiving
Full Story
Guest Picks: Kitchen Essentials for a First Thanksgiving
With the right kitchen tools and servewear, hosting the big holiday meal can be (almost) as easy as pie
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Modern Thanksgiving Feast Essentials
Tools and tableware items to make your meal a hit — with modern flair for good measure
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Backcountry Thanksgiving Dinner
Keep your dinging room simple with rustic charm inspired by the country
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Host a Backcountry Thanksgiving Dinner
Bring home rustic charm inspired by the country with furnishings, tableware and more
Full Story0
fawnridge (Ricky)