SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

A Bit Overwhelming

Cherryfizz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We had some really heavy rain in the Windsor/Tecumseh area during the night September 30. Months worth of rain in one night. 135 mm in the Riverside area where I live and 190 mm of rain in Tecumseh and because of that there was major flooding in these areas. The municipal pumping stations couldn't keep up with that amount of water.

So many homes were flooded. I had water come up from the sewer like a fountain in both rooms of my basement. I am one of the fortunate ones and my basement is unfinished, cement and the only items I had on the floor was the laundry I had sorted to wash that day and the cat litter boxes and scratch pads. I managed to bring one of the litter boxes up onto the landing for my cat. The worse part for me is I had rain pouring through my ceilings in the kitchen and living room. I was using my pots to collect the water and one bucket but that was not enough so a friend brought over big planter barrels. I have one new crack the length of my ceiling a 2 new cracks in the kitchen where the water came through. I have flood insurance but my deductible is $1000 so there is no point putting a claim in for that so that is a mess I have to clean up on my own because I can't afford to hire someone. Needless to say my house is not smelling to good at the moment. I bagged what I could. There is a waiting list of over 3 - 4 weeks to get someone in to clean the basement so I am going to have to do it on my own and with my bad back it is going to be a slow moving process. I sprayed the duct work with a biological spray that hopefully will eat any mould spores.

The insurance company sent in a contractor and they determined the plaster ceilings in my living room and kitchen will have to be removed to the floor joists above, then they will bring in heat fans, treat the wood once it is dry and replace the ceilings and paint both the walls and ceilings. Because my house was built in 1946 they are coming in Friday to cut a square out of the ceiling to test for asbestos and if there is asbestos the process will take much longer. While they do this work I guess I will be confined to my bedroom and I don't know how the cat will react.

They are also sending in a roofing inspector to check to see why the rain came in and because my roof was put on in the 1990's it may not be covered but I am praying it will be. Why do all the inside water damage work if my roof is bad. I can't afford to replace it at this time so might have to put a tarp on it. So many people have it worse off that I do though, they had to gut and remove everything in my niece's beautiful lower level including all the doors and wood work, cabinets, bar. The City declared this a State of Emergency (even the tornado that passed through a few months ago didn't qualify) because so many residents were affected and can now access some funding if they didn't have insurance. Well, at least I will have freshly painted and plastered rooms by Christmas, at least I hope so!

Comments (31)