SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

Have rennet tablets, will make cheese but need a lot of help

althetrainer
14 years ago

I finally found some rennet tablets from a town some 50 miles away. Went to pick some up yesterday. The guy said it would be better for me to start with Feta cheese. So I bought a bag of Feta cheese cultures as well.

This morning, I read the package and began to feel very overwhelmed. The cheese cultures is Choozit Feta A LYO 100 DCU. That should allow me to use 1,000 liters of milk... a lot of Feta for just the three of us. When reading it more closely I realized the BEST BEFORE date was 28 APR 2010! How is it possible for me to use up that much of cultures in such a short time?

I read the back of the package and couldn't make any sense out of it. This is what it said "Freeze-dried starter cultures: Despatch at ambient temperature for max. 2 weeks does not influence best before date. After receipt store at My next question is about milk. It seems like most Feta cheese recipes call for goat milk. How big a difference will it be if I use cows milk?

The information sheet the guy gave me talks about keeping the pH balance between the cheese and the brine. Do I need a pH dipstick for that?

This is another part I don't understand. On the sheet it says "Rennet: 3 g Renco powder/100 kg milk add when pH start moving or liquid rennet". I have rennet tablets. Do I need to crush the tablets into powder to do this?

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. Will check out a book "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes From Cheddard & Brie to Butter & Yogurt" by Debra Amrein-Boyes from the local library. I hope the book will help me understand a bit more on cheese making basics.

Meanwhile, will someone please tell me cheese making is not that hard. I hate to feel discouraged at the start.

Al

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County