SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Late Season Pictures

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have been somewhat unattached from my plants for most of this year and I really haven't done them justice in sharing bloom pictures. So this year they really didn't get any routine care, up-potting, pruning/shaping, and very little in the way of fertilizing. Watering was at least helped by a very wet spring which caused a lot of rust issues but July and part of August was bone dry. So by the time I got all of them back some were in rough shape.

Here are some stand outs:

JJ Milan

JL Tiki Torch

Starting at 12: Milan, San Miguel, Black Ruby (2 older blooms), Emersons Pink Nova, Mango Brush, New Black Ruby Bloom, Gulfstream (buried), and barely visible in the middle is J105.

Dean Conklin. Note the saturation change after being moved to a full sun location.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    7 years ago

Here are some more

A few J105s which were still holding on

Penang Peach which bloomed on cut (or green) branches. Always my favorite.

A lonely Kaneohe Sunburst

my oldest Pixie doing what she has always done and raiding the plumeria grove. IMO Flowers are meant to be enjoyed and that rarely happens on the plant.

• 7 years ago

Gearing up for the storm and took a break. Seeing your beautiful blooms chased some of the gloom

• Related Discussions

Late season curcumas

Q

Comments (3)
    can you take a photo of the plant from a distance as well. It looks like it could be a form of C. attenuata, which is all over north thailand and comes in many different forms. Looking at the foliage could help, as the C. attenuata usually have a thick sometimes greyish leaf, usually somewhat fuzzy.
    ...See More

Late season blue plants

Q

Comments (9)
    Some plants are simply going to be more chlorotic looking. I've been feeding my plants the same full dose the entire season, and just like last year, my Bhut has been more pale than all my other plants. As the temperature drops, and as soils stay moist longer, the ability of roots to absorb Nitrogen and Calcium decreases, and those two nutrients have great effect on the green of a plant. So it's going to be a bit of both, with the naturally more pale plants manifesting the end of the season blues more profoundly. Josh
    ...See More

Indoors late season & winter peppers in 4b : August

Q

Comments (2)
    I do something similar here. I germinate several hot peppers in September and then bring them inside when the temp requires. They continue to grow a decent amount, but then when the spring comes and it is time to plant, I have a good size one ready to go from the get go. I am doing it with a scorpion, ghost, hab, and golden cayennes this year.
    ...See More

Late season roses

Q

Comments (32)
    I don't remember where I got it from. But it was either Hortico, Pickering or Palantine. Yes, It is a really good bloomer. The fragrance is really nice and the bloom size is large - maybe 5 inches. The blooms last a long time...but it's cool here. Right now mine is growing in a pot yet managed to reach over 4 feet from the rose's base. So there are about 15 buds, but they're above my head. That never happens here. So it's a tall plant. It also has buds lower down. It's relatively new, so I can't say I love it like I love Grande Dame. But, it's a solid 4 out of 5 for me. Carol
    ...See More
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Thank you CC. Best of luck. I just watched the brief on the storm track. Before being granted asylum in Texas my island hometown 60 miles north of Jacksonville is in the threat cone too. Hoping for that sharp right turn sooner than later.

If you can't bring them in it may not be pleasant but it will save the plants from significant damage if you cut off all but the top 2-3 leaves on each branch. Thus removing most of the surface area impacted by wind. The proponent of this technique is Bud Guillot and he wrote about it in the PSA newsletter last year.

• 7 years ago

We're not sure what expect since we came here from New England. For sure nothing will be unscathed in 100 mph winds. Luckily all the plums are potted so we' re good there but everything else...

• PRO
    7 years ago

I hope it staying a bit further out really helped everyone dodge a bullet so far. Still concerned for my family & friends in coastal GA.

• 7 years ago

This was our first hurricane & it was frightening. So thankful that it weakened from cat4 down to 3. All my shrubs & trees are shredded. Plums are safe! All the coast here had mandatory evac prob GA will too. Here's hoping they come out of it with little damage. I woke this a.m. at 4 to howling & gusting...13 hrs later still blowing like crazy. Worn your fam the storm doesn't end quickly.

• 7 years ago

Thinking of all those in the hurricane's path with hopes that you are safe and well. Can't begin to imagine how frightening.

Kms your photos are stunning. I especially like Tiki Torch. Thanks for all the advice you extend- feel I'm staying ahead of the game in keeping my plumerias happy.

Nancy

• PRO
    7 years ago

Thanks Nancy. Always happy to share what have learned.

I think i bought Tiki Torch in 2013 as a cutting and this was the first year it bloomed. Last year's and the first inflos this year both died back before flowering. Not real sure as to the reasons but I'm guessing a combination of wet spring and summer and an immature plant.

Some of the more prized hybrids require something of a long game strategy versus prolific blooms by the second year. That's why I always recommend common/prolific (but still attractive) varieties like Penang Peach, TLD, Dwarf Singapore Pink, JJ Divine, etc. for people just starting in the hobby.

• 7 years ago

Thanks again for the tips. Confess that I immediately combed the internet for Tiki Torch when I saw your photos! Nice to know that I have two of your recommendations for beginners- JJ Divine and Dwarf S. Pink. Have a Plastic Pink cutting on it's way from Maui currently, and will let you know how that rooting process goes. So far my cuttings are doing nicely under the lights and sitting on mats this fall. Lots of new leaves to wake up to every morning.

Have to share with you- started my first seedlings about a week ago and six of twenty-four have already sprouted! Feel like a new mother.

Nancy

• 7 years ago

Kms,

Wanted to go right out and track down a Tiki Torch when I saw yours! Good to hear what your recommendations are for beginners. Have Dwarf S. Pink and JJ Divine- and will put Penang Peach on my list for next spring. Thanks for the help.

You've probably seen my sad pics of Lei Rainbow- breaks my heart. In consolation have a Plastic Pink cutting on it's way. Maybe there's hope though? Thanks so much for all you do and give.

Nancy

• 7 years ago

Wow, Pixie's hands can hold a lot more blooms now! You're right about them being enjoyed off the tree.

Love the Tiki Torch! You're lucky to have so many still blooming, and they now have all the space they need to really go crazy next year.

Are those galoshes in that last photo?

• PRO
    7 years ago

J, Yup...well actually the walmart version but same thing in my mind. Its a mudbowl in the plumeria beds right now. I'm going to have 12+ yards of mulch delivered for the Plumeria grove and flower beds once the heavy equipment is out of the way and I have roughed in some pvc lines for a future drip irrigation system off my future rainwater harvesting tanks. future future future. You think legit pine bark for Plumeria bedding is worth it or just the basic shredded and cooked stuff?

Also found a 1st inflo on Pretty Princess (bought in 2014 at the Clear Lake PSA sale). Would be nice to see this one in hot weather...Hopefully its not more than a month out from blooming.

Nancy,

Plastic pink has been a really good one to me. I know it as Royal Hawaiian but same thing. In 2008 it suffered some frost damage and had to be cut back but recovered within the year. Glad you are getting it. It's tall growing with thin branches and very soft richly colored blooms. Last week it was blown over during a windy front and completely leveled an Aztec Gold and Giant Star (cutting my losses and starting them over from the stumps) for the loss of only two tips. It still is in bloom right now and is in the "Big Plumeria" Grove not in the image above. It's overdue for a root prune and up potting to 25+ gal because I can see some canopy branches with wrinkles.

I think cuttings have been harder to take root with one possibly still not rooted since July

• PRO
    7 years ago

Here is a current RH inflo. The plant itself is probably 10-12 ft tall and 40+ tips. Like I said it's root bound and should have been pruned and up potted this year. You can tell because of wrinkles, susceptibility to rust, general weakness in growth, and I think the early transition to hibernation is a weakness indicator too. Note the yellow bottom leaves as the plant prepares to hibernate. Also some remaining rust spots. They will soon be lawn mower fodder.

Damage to Aztec Gold and Giant Star. My opinion of these two actually went up because they did a good job of taking the hit so my much more liked R.H. survived with minimal damage. Going to cut all the surviving bent branches back to near the stumps and start them over.

• 7 years ago

Kms-

Your plumeria grove? I'm very envious! And I see a Bobcat in your yard- serious implements.

Where do you live? Is the damage to the plumerias from wind or frost? Really worried about the size of some of my plants. I live on the Oregon coast and the wind here preempts putting them outside. It blows strongly at least a few times a week in summer and comes up unexpectedly. Not that I'd have them outside now, but one of these frequent fall/winter storms is blowing 85mph right now. Tall plumerias aren't going to work under grow lights. Are they prunable? Husband if freaking out that T5 HO lights are taking over the house.

Nancy

• PRO
    7 years ago

We are near San Antonio. So we typically get a few flirts with the low 30s each year. We just moved to an area about 30 miles out into the Hill Country so no longer have the advantage of the city's heat on those few cold nights. I'm expecting a 5-10 degree difference in low temps which will be problematic. Typically a greenhouse with a ceramic heater or even a box fan is sufficient to prevent any cold damage.

The damage was from those two plants catching my Royal Hawaiian as it blew over during a storm. Best thing those two nuisance plants have ever done for me.

Plumerias can be pruned but there is potential of loosing a bloom cycle as Plumerias generally bloom on old growth. Mature plants may be able to bloom multiple times per tip per season. I have a number that seem pretty routine at it.

• 7 years ago

Thanks for the word on pruning. I've been looking at another couple spots inside in my loft where I have my other two T5 HO lights. Think i could fit another two racks with up there to accommodate taller plants. The Blush Pink cutting that you first helped me with because it was too wet has shot up and almost 3 feet tall, Could see by next summer that it will need more space or need pruning.

I have a neighbor with an unused greenhouse and working up my nerve to impose. They are very wealthy and always feel that those with less disposable income impose. It may not be worth the trouble but it's within sight of my kitchen window and I dream. We live in a forest which would provide decent protection for our own green house, but husband has put the kabash on cutting down any trees. Seems most people here come up with solutions for their plumeria space difficulties.

Do you have plumerias inground and in containers?

Nancy

• PRO
    7 years ago

I still think you can get a portable/pop up greenhouse and anchor it with straps and rebar driven into the ground. Find the best shelter spot with southern exposure. Maybe you can prune certain branches in your forest thus not removing any trees but still opening a spot for you. Then use straps across the greenhouse in an "X" to the rebar.

I had quite a few in ground previously but all are in containers right now as we moved and have some backyard construction projects going on. Also I am learning the sun light patterns as the angle of the sun changes in the new yard. Previously our house faced south giving a northern back yard which in winter gave me problems with too much shade from the house and trees. Now I am thankful to say its reversed and I now have a fantastic south exposure back yard. Also a good thing but I have to still deal with some pretty big Live Oaks and Post Oaks throwing some shade.

Once I have those things done I can then figure out the best spots to put select plants in ground.