SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isgen

Indoors late season & winter peppers in 4b : August

isgen
8 years ago

Here's a quick presentation of the plants I have going at the moment, which I plan to take through winter, indoors under lights, with the hopes they can produce a few fruits. I've already mentioned some of this in my first thread here, but I have some pictures this time around and whatever is repeated is for completeness' sake.

First off, a mystery pepper I was given as an advanced seedling. Looks like some sort of Thai Bird's Eye, possibly ornamental given the upward-growing pods.

This one was outdoors until a few weeks ago when I potted it in a loose soil mix and brought it in, since weather was no so great. I fought off a small aphid assault and currently have the little buggers in check, perhaps manually killing no more than 1 or 2 every couple of days. The plant had been budding nicely before the aphids. I used a 3% peroxide foliar and soil spray to kill some off, but I think it also killed off most buds and it has yet to produce more since, which has me slightly concerned. The plant is otherwise fairly healthy. It has 8 pods on it. The first one to have grown is the largest, two more grew at the same time and are somewhat smaller, same story for another set of tow and same thing holds for the three last ones. I don't see much growth from any of the pods at this moment. The largest one is starting to show signs of wanting to turn red, finally. I don't know if these will even taste good. This plant now has a few fungus gnats to keep things interesting...

Next up, what I believe (was told) is a Scotch Bonnet.

I was also given this as an older seedling. It was scrawny and did not do well outdoors, likely because of the really cool nights. It has been growing nicely since I took it indoors. The largest leaves are roughly 2" wide. It just started to divide into the usual Y-shape, perhaps 3.5"-4" above ground, with each branch apparently sprouting its own quasi-immediate secondary Y. Perhaps I'll start to see buds soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing pods and better identifying this one.

Last are a few seedlings I started myself.

The one in the foreground and the one immediately to its right are Jalapeno. I used seeds from store-bought green pods. I sprouted perhaps 30-40 seeds in a damp paper towel + ziploc bag combo, with 95%+ germination rate, which rather surprised me. I chose 18 of the more vigorous looking sprouts and planted them in soil in an egg carton. Some of them popped out with the seed casing still over the cotyledon, never letting go of it, so they died. Maybe 4-5 were fairly robust. Two of these were partially chewed by a mystery creature one night, one never to recover. I ended up with these two seedlings, which I transferred to these small (~8oz/250ml) drinking cups. The one in the foreground is advancing much quicker and is spreading its first set of true leaves. The one to the right is one that was chewed, only partially on both cotyledon tips. It recovered and, though progressing slower, has tiny true leaves coming out.

The three others to the left and back are seeds I was given, labeled as "Indian Pepper". Luckily, the small container has a whole dried pod in it, so I have an idea what to expect. The pod is red, perhaps 2.5" long and must have been roughly 0.75"+ in diameter at the base when still hydrated. I started with 4 seeds, one mysteriously dried and died before the cotyledon could pop out of the soil, though I could see the curved stem coming out. Other seeds labeled as "Thai" and "African" peppers simply did not sprout at all.

I think this is enough plants for now, seeing how this is somewhat experimental for me. I don't want to go to extreme lengths to make this work, but I'll be supplying the plants with adequate temperature and light from a couple of CFLs. These are 42W, 2850 Lumens, 6500K. I'll be real happy if I can get a few pods; likewise if this only allows me to get a head-start for the 2016 growing season.

If this experiment is not a total failure and an embarrassment to myself, I'll post updates when the mood strikes.

Comments (2)

Sponsored