SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isgen

Indoors late season & winter peppers in 4b : September

isgen
8 years ago

Things are progressing along quite well for my indoors peppers since the August post, a bit over two weeks ago.

The "mystery" (probably Thai ornamental) peppers have started to turn red. In fact, three of them have fully turned and have been picked and eaten. Far, far less heat than I expected, comparable if less so than green Jalapeno. Not much flavour. Still 5 green pods left on the plant, but all smaller and not getting any larger. Plant has not produced a bud in quite a bit. Aphid and fungus gnat invasions were fought off, but, just today, noticed aphids are back in force. This plant is quarantined on the deck and will likely end-up trimmed aggressively and re-potted and maybe entirely discarded, unless the other pods end-up tasting better. No picture.

Next up, the Scotch Bonnet. This one is doing well. It's being illuminated by one 42W daylight CFL and two 13W soft white LED lamps. It had a nice deep green colour and quickly sprouted numerous new leaves, is quite bushy and now has several buds in the new Y-divisions. Still have not decided if I pinch them off or not.

Last, the five seedlings; two jalapeno, three from seeds I was given labeled as "Indian pepers". Two weeks ago, there was only the cotyledon, now all are sprouting their fourth or fifth set of true leaves. A 42W daylight CFL lights up these babies. Lots of roots showing and they require watering every day or two, time to upgrade pots.

Things look promising as far as continuing these plants indoors during the cold season. I'm 10-20 days away from average first frost date. My outdoors tomatoes better get busy ripening though! Cherry tomatoes have done so for a while, large reds and Italians just started.

Comments (4)

Sponsored