SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Need help in updating daughter's kitchen

mtvhike
7 years ago

My 37yo stepdaughter wants to have her 8-3/4' x 13' kitchen updated. My wife and I are trying to help as much as possible. The dwelling is a 2 BR, 1 BA 3rd floor coop apartment in Evanston, IL. The building was built in 1924, with fairly high standards. The space is quite roomy, except for the kitchen.

We went to a local kitchen design company and they came, made some measurements, and then gave a ballpark figure of $65k. This includes renovation of all plaster walls, including existing pantry redesign. The whole apartment is worth $100K and, based on recent sales, spending the asked amount won't bring the value up to $165, so what to do?

The things she wants includes:

updated electric circuits (2 new 20A circuits plus a 240 volt circuit for a future clothes dryer in the pantry), ceiling and under cabinet lighting

7 base cabinets and 2 uppers

new refrigerator

new countertops and sink

We have eliminated, for cost, anything involving new walls, ceiling, floors (except for what has to be done for the electrical work). No changes in plumbing.

Can this be done for $35k (without the pantry)?

(The recent comparable sales also had a powder room and air conditioning added, in addition to an updated kitchen, for $162).

One reason for the high price is that a lot of utility updating needs to be done - new electric circuits, etc.

I posted this problem a couple of months ago, but I can't find the thread.

Comments (13)