FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
smurfette36

I'd like some suggestions to update my kitchen. I need help! :-)

smurfette36
2 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm looking for advice on how to make my kitchen feel fresh. Since this photo, I have added under cabinet lighting and removed a lot of stuff off of the countertops.

Here are some of my thoughts: I'm going to replace all of the appliances, I'm assuming stainless steel is the way to go. Although, I'm not sold on SS-I could go with white or black. It's whatever looks the best. My new refrigerator will be a bit taller and a bit more narrow. Eventually I will replace the countertops too.

The kitchen is part of an open floor plan in a small, 1500 square foot house.

Any suggestions or insight? I'm open to painting walls and even cabinets. I saw some pictures of blue cabinets, but I'm not sure how they would look in the house.

I appreciate the help.

Comments (7)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    2 years ago

Can you move the plant on the fridge? If it's real, I'd move it elsewhere, esp if it can get more light. If it's not real, I'd donate it.

Have you lived in this house long, or is it new to you?

smurfette36 thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • PRO
    Kitchens by Kyle
    2 years ago

As much as I love dark stains, painting the cabinets may be the way to go. White, Grey, Blues are what is "in" right now but they're still nice neutral colors. My issue with this kitchen is what appear to be 30" wall cabinets and larger than life ceiling height in comparison. it makes the space seem short. lighter cabinets and maybe a darker wall color will close this gap. A horizontal backsplash will also help visually make the space longer, making it appear bigger.

smurfette36 thanked Kitchens by Kyle
  • jhmarie
    2 years ago

There are lots of possibilities depending on your style. This is my wood kitchens idea book with both newer and older, refreshed kitchens. You might see something that inspires you in a particular direction:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

smurfette36 thanked jhmarie
  • smurfette36
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beckysharp-the plant on the fridge is real, but I failed to mention it's no longer on the refrigerator. I've lived in the house for about 8 years.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Stack some 12 inchers above the wall cabinets.....and swap some door fronts for glass doors. (Play up ceiling height) Get a backsplash and side panels for new fridge. These things will transform the windowless kitchen . You can do more like relocate kitchen , gut it...all new counters etc. what is your budget,timeline and general plans?

• ilikefriday
    2 years ago

I agree with BeverlyFADeziner. I would get an otr microwave and move the cabinet. I also think painting them blue would look great.

smurfette36 thanked ilikefriday