Changing American Diet
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (53)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
American Ag is really changing!
Comments (21)"myk1, the price of corn is not set by the farmer based on his costs to produce, it is an openly traded commodity and the price reflects supply vs demand." A few years ago the costs of harvesting, transporting and storage were too high for what the price corn was bringing. The corn was dumped in fields and even along side of roads. If it's not worth harvesting there is nobody holding a gun to the farmer's heads making them take a loss. No other business in this country is a forced charity like that. They dump to cut supply which drives up prices. Now that there is more demand with ethanol there is no need to dump or till under. If anything the extra corn being grown to jump on the bandwagon is lowering prices compared to where it should be (but that is offset this year because of the floods). I'm all for farmers getting paid a good income. Not that I believe the poverty stricken farmer stories but with the amount of financial investment and labor it takes to farm they deserve to be very well off. There are a lot of bad farmers/businessmen who wait until it's too late but the smart ones are thinking ahead. Doesn't what you say contradict that it's the ethanol causing prices to increase? If the cost of fuel going up doesn't make the cost of corn go up then the cost of corn going up shouldn't make the cost of beef go up. This doesn't effect me and fruit growing. I learned a long time ago that store bought weren't a good substitute for homegrown, I don't buy fruit if I have a bad year (the same goes for corn on the cob). I'm planting more apples (now it's up to 4 more instead of 3) because I want apples not because I need them. The only way I'll notice the price increases is if I get extras and sell them instead of give them away. I have a bunch of filters on my email plus my address changed. I was getting those last year and I've always got them at my spam address....See MoreCookbook recommendations for low salt diets?
Comments (6)Grainlady's suggestion is a good one. You can explore the cookbooks without paying out any money and you may just discover that you really don't think they're worth investing in at all. I've been dealing with low sodium cooking for about three years now. I started a blog about it last year. If you go to my blog you'll find a section listing low sodium information websites. I'd definitely recommend Low Sodium Cooking.com and MegaHeart.com. http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/ http://www.megaheart.com/ Both the websites also contain recipes, helpful information, and a free newsletter that you can sign up for. Also, both website authors have published low sodium cookbooks. You could make a point of looking for their books. Or just refer to their recipe sections. Grainlady hit on an important concept. Rather than trying new recipes, you can learn to adapt your favorite dishes and still produce tasty meals. Here is a link that might be useful: Low Sodium Cooking Blog...See MoreMy Detergent Diet
Comments (26)As PP mentioned above, the average joe just doesn't care - they load the machine, drop in a dose of detergent (and in a lot of cases, actually overdose above what the manufacture states) comeback to wet clothes to move to the dryer and as long as look and smell clean - they're happy/not bothered. However, for those who do care, it becomes just like chemistry - everybodys laundry is completely different: detergent type, water type/temp/level, machine type, cycle type/temp, load size, fabric type in the load (and what's loaded in together or not), stain types and even down to how long an article has gone between last wash, what its been subjected to, and even what its made of (2 items of 100% cotton could be different due to manufacturing processes and dyes etc) - I'm waffling, but this list won't even be all that's at play. Detergent manufacturers are a business, they need to make money; they have stakeholders, employees, suppliers, contractors and marketers to pay - so they must drive value and revenues. Don't' suppose it'll ever be proven (or ever admitted), but it's in their interest to give customers what they're happy with/what is acceptable, whilst maximising revenue - end of the day, if they dont make money, what are they doing it for? I did read somewhere (and I wish I could remember where) that a certain big manufacturer of a very famous detergent was starting to see revenues drop to a level below what they were aiming for/happy with, and it was centred around the launch of single dose detergents - on the one hand, they carry a premium price tag and it guarantees that a user gets no more than the stated amount of loads - but what they actually found was customers weren't purchasing detergent at the store as often due to the fact that compared to when the same users were using powder/liquid format, the overdoing (just dumping 1 full cap in) was causing people to repeat purchase more often than that of pod users. And what do you know, the dosing recommendations for pods were increased - going from 1 pod for any load, to 1 for medium, 2 for large and 3 for high capacity/extra dirty. The same has now become true of liquids - dose increased - line 1 for medium, 3 for large and line 5 for "full he loads" as "they are a higher capacity than standard top loaders and of course more clothes = more dirt)" --their tag line-- All this in a time when detergents are becoming more "concentrated" and front loaders use as much as a quarter the amount of water than that of a TL. Now how can detergents be being concentrated, Used in machines that use less water (which is what will ultimately determine the strength of the solution that detergents are dissolved within) and the doses are going up? Add this to the fact that washer manufacturers often say use less than recommended. Makes you think....See MoreOur healthy diet culture is lethal. Eating disorders up 40%
Comments (99)My heart goes out to you roarah and your daughter and your family. You did a great job realizing that there was a problem and taking great strides to help your daughter. You are corageous to share your story with us. Thank you for sharing your story and the articles you linked. I read each one. I do think that our culture has problems with obsession over thinness and judgement towards people perceived as "fat". Even reading some of the comments here, that judgement is present. Add to that the perpetuation of social media and the ability of people to gain popularity without the backing of scientific substance, and it just perpetuates this ideal. Society, but especially social media, is putting extreme pressure on people of all ages, but especially teens and young adults. And all of us as individuals (and our parents before us) are responsible for perpetuating this culture. To this day my mother fixates on her weight and also fixates on my weight without my consent. Doctors can be cruel and dismissive of anyone even overweight and I have experienced it without ever being classified as obese. As I now have nieces and a nephew, I am consciously reading about how the things I say may impact their relationship with food in the future. I do not discuss diets or intermittent fasting around them. I talk about exercise and food in terms of fun and how it provides fuel for my activities. What we say around children can really influence their thinking as they grow up. We need to be responsible about what kind of biases or potentially bad relationships with food we might be unintentionally passing along. This is not saying that roarah did this or that any of you are doing this, but it is something I witness in my own family and something I am consciously trying to stop with the generation of children in my family. It breaks my heart to hear how roarah's daughter was receiving compliments about how "strong" she looked when she was in the throws of suffering from an ED. I think that is incredibly common. I cannot tell you how many unsolicited weight loss comments I have received from people who do not know me well enough to have any idea if I'm losing weight for health or because I am sick with a serious illness or because I am suffering an eating disorder. Judging (positive or negative) anyone's appearance can be really destructive. I am not the most educated on eating disorders, but it something I am trying to learn more about for myself and for how I interact with others. Thank you, roarah, for continuing to help me understand....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: How to Care for American Goldfinches
The American goldfinch is a bright-in-the-summer visitor and one of the only vegetarian songbirds. Here's how to give them a healthy habitat
Full Story
BOOKSCan Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
ARCHITECTURETimeline of American House Styles
Inspired by the Super Bowl commercials, a visual narrative of American home design
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREA Brief Recap of Historical American Home Design
Two contradictory desires have fueled American architecture since its birth. See how the tension has played out in home design
Full Story
SOUTHWEST GARDENINGUnderstanding the American Southwest's Three Main Climate Zones
If you live in one of the arid or semiarid regions of the U.S. Southwest, this gardening zone guide is for you
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES13 North American Backyard Birds to Know
Find out about these enchanting native species and learn how to attract them to your yard
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESBefore and After: Beauty and Functionality in an American Foursquare
Period-specific details and a modern layout mark the renovation of this turn-of-the-20th-century home near Boston
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: Cape Cod Evolves Into an American Favorite
With its simple gabled roof forms and straightforward design elements, the Boston-area style maintains a centuries-long following
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: American Farmhouses Pay Tribute to Regional Traditions
With simple forms and details that honor their locales, farmhouse architecture transcends time
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: The Eclectic American Foursquare
The turn-of-the-20th-century style transitioned U.S. residential architecture from the Victorian era to the modern age
Full Story






bob_cville