SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satine_gw

My heart is breaking

satine_gw
7 years ago

I am typing through my tears. My heart is breaking for my daughter as she tries to find a job and keep her life moving in a positive direction. She has a felony on her record because she took my car (bought for her but in my name) 7 years ago when she was a heroin user and vanished from her family and friends. After all other avenues led nowhere I was advised to report the car stolen so that the police could stop her. She was eventually stopped and went to court and was given probation before judgement which meant that if she went to rehab and kept out of trouble her record could be expunged. It took another year but after almost dying and spending 2 1/2months in the hospital she went to rehab. She worked hard and has really struggled with life and supporting herself but has been clean for almost 5 years. She has started the process of getting her record expunged but after having gone through a three step interview process was just told that because of her record this company (a large insurance company) won't hire felons. My hear is really breaking for her. She has worked harder than anyone else I know and even though I did what I had to at the time I feel awful. Sorry for the long post. I just needed to "talk" to someone.

Comments (44)

• User
    7 years ago

There are a lot of companies that hire felons. Mine is not one of them, though. Sorry she's having to reap what she sowed. Too bad those who use drugs can't see far enough into the future to see what they're doing to themselves, both physically and economically.

satine_gw thanked User
  • sjerin
    7 years ago

Oh, Satine, I'm so sorry that though your daughter is doing all the right things, she cannot get this job. Is there a list she or you could find of jobs that are possible for her to get? How long does the expunging process take? Could she live with you while she waits for that to happen, and perhaps find a lower-paying job? You've been through the mill with her and I know how tremendously proud of her you (and we!) are, for all her excruciatingly hard work. I wonder if you can find a pro Bono legal person to advise her? Don't give up hope!

satine_gw thanked sjerin
  • Related Discussions

My heart is breaking

Q

Comments (14)
    Just be there and listen between the lines. We have had two deaths in the last month at dd's school. Her first experience with loosing a friend happened when she was in the 6th grade. It really affected her. And just recently a close friend of her boyfriend was killed on a crochrocket. Head on into a car. She went to the funeral with alot of other kids. He had graduated last year.. He had told his parents if anything ever happened he wanted to be buried in his baseball uniform with all his buddies carring the casket. Alot of kids were there. it was dd's first funeral .. it totally tore her up to see his body lying there...and his mom was hysterical. She says life is short, you should always make time for your friends... and tell the people you love...that you do. She gave alot of her friends a hard time about not being there for each other... And no way should they try to make it though life without God. She is doing better itjust takes time.
    ...See More

Rose gall...I need advice...my heart is breaking

Q

Comments (16)
    Right now, you might want to plant massed species Marigolds in that spot, They're supposed to suppress the nematode populations that seem to be related to the ingress of A. tumefaciens into woody plants. Calendula is another nematode supressant. Jeri, I'm not sure about Carolina Lady. I've also read that it's very close to The Fairy, but I just don't see it being that close. LC seems to bloom a lot earlier and longer. I've got two huge ones (LC) on the fence line and so far haven't seen any gall problems with either. I think that there may be a systemic problem with a lot of The Fairys but the massed ones I had in New Orleans could live and bloom with it; now they've been replaced with a palm tree and azaleas. Once upon a time, rootstocks were chosen for their resistance to crown gall.
    ...See More

My heart is breaking

Q

Comments (19)
    Hopetheylive, sorry for your troubles. I'm emotionally invested in my plants as well. Yesterday I decided to leave one large beautiful almost dead ripe tomato on the vine for just one more day, since the birds had left them alone so far this year. This morning I checked on it and found a bird had "sampled" it. Grrrr.... We have lots of Cardinals here and when I see one of them near a tomato plant I know to go quickly looking for hornworms. Cardinals are mostly beneficial seems to me. Now if I see Mockingbirds hanging out around the tomatoes, I'm sure to find pecked fruit. Beverly, I'd love to know if the red Christmas ornament trick works. Maybe you can post later this year and let us know.
    ...See More

My heart is breaking

Q

Comments (50)
    All of you have been so kind - thank you from our family. My heart breaks for each of you that have lost a fur baby. Harley was such a part of all of us. When Gary was dying of pancreatic cancer, Harley would not leave his side - I had to drag him outdoors to take care of his business. He didn't eat for a week - just laid by our bedroom door and kept guard. Harley arrived in our lives on Christmas day, 1998, weighing 6 pounds - he grew to 75 pounds at one point, but as he aged, he dropped to 56 pounds. He was a big ball of fur and love!
    ...See More
  • sjerin
    7 years ago

Oh, I wish you hadn't typed that third sentence, Chloecat, as it's most unfair. Satine's daughter went through a horrific experience concerning the death of her father which led to her difficulties.

• paperweights
    7 years ago

I can't imagine the hurt you are feeling as you watch your daughter struggle! I'm sorry you have to go through this! I am praying that things will turn around soon.

satine_gw thanked paperweights
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

It is a sad situation. Maybe, with time, things will happen that will bring a smile to you and to her.

My brother had a difficult time keeping a job as an adult. He let his religious views interfere with his workplace habits. He was dismissed from so many jobs because of that. He never did change his ways, and he died feeling that he was doing the right thing all the time.

satine_gw thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • blfenton
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Satine - I'm so sorry you're going through this with your child. It is so difficult to see them struggle and even when they do all the right things, struggles still ensue.

For those of us who don't struggle with addictions it's impossible to understand the whys and wherefores of it and for those of us who live with people who struggle with them it's a tough road to help. My dad was an alcoholic and my son was on his way to following that family legacy (which it has become) if my DH and I hadn't stepped in when we first saw the signs.

My heart hurts for you but don't let your daughter give up. She's already fought the toughest battle.

satine_gw thanked blfenton
  • terilyn
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry, she has worked so hard on herself. I hope she is able to get her record expunged soon and can find the perfect job for herself.

satine_gw thanked terilyn
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

Satine, when I saw the title of your post I feared your daughter was back on heroin. But she's not. And that alone should be able to keep your heart together. As you go through the job hunt with her, I hope you will hold on to this very big blessing.

satine_gw thanked Alisande
  • Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

Satine. Don't feed the guilt. You did what you needed to do and you saved your daughter's life. Maybe your daughter needs to do a little research and find some companies who will hire ex-felons. Maybe she can contact her old parole officer or some of the people who helped her through the process to see if they have any leads.

satine_gw thanked Adella Bedella
  • satine_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sjerin, my daughter is working and is actually working two jobs. She is self supporting and has been for the past 5 years. She has held several jobs during that time (mostly waitress) and has been with the company she is with now for 3.5 years. She wants to have a career not just a job and wants to have benefits etc. She has some college and is quite intelligent. She has started the expungment process which takes 3 months but the only thing that does is to allow you to legally answer no if asked if you have a conviction. If someone searches the court records the conviction will still show. I think the only way to avoid that is to have a record sealed which they only do for minors.

I know I did the right thing back then but I can't help but feel crummy about it. Thank you all for listening. Im really beside myself and can't stop crying.

• satine_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

adellabella, my daughter never served any time and was never on probation. The ruling "probation before conviction" just means that if you follow the judges order (rehab) and stay out of trouble you will be allowed to have your record expunged.

• Georgysmom
    7 years ago

I have tears, too because I remember so well the pain you went through all those many years ago. I agree with alisande, when I first looked at the header of the post, I feared your daughter had fallen back into drugs. Thank the good Lord that is not the case. This is just a slight setback. She's on the right path and just has to keep trying. Hopefully this will just make her more determined and stronger. I understand that companies have to have rules but they should be guidelines. When you see someone has pulled themselves out of the abyss, it would be a great philanthropic thing to give them a chance. I know it's a risk on their part but it could make such a difference in another human beings life and she could be a great asset to their company. I will pray for her to maintain her strength and positive outlook. And you, Satine, must not admonish yourself. You did what you had to do for her safety at the time. Bless you both.

satine_gw thanked Georgysmom
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

Oh satine, I'm sorry you feel so crummy about it. I'm a parent that can totally relate. My oldest son has a felony from years ago, and although he has a decent paying job, it doesn't have benefits. We live in a rural area where there isn't much opportunity. If he stays here, he may never have a "good" job but he will make the most of it, as your daughter will, I'm sure. Maybe after her record is expunged, that will be the ticket to better employment.

Here in my state, it's so easy to pull up court records. It's what many employers use. If you've been on probation or in jail, that information is only a couple of clicks away for anyone to view.

satine_gw thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • User
    7 years ago

Do not feel guilty for doing what you did. She is clean and sober. You did that. She is alive. You did that. She's held jobs for five years. You did that. You may have had her arrested but that is the shovel that dug her out of the hole she was digging. I'm a firm believer in when one door closers another better door opens. Keep positive thoughts in your head. Something bigger and better is coming her way.

satine_gw thanked User
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

Lukki’s post reminded me of a couple things. I read an interview with Maya Angelou. She said no matter what happens, always say
    thank you. Just say Thank You. Something better is ahead. I can’t find that particular interview where
    she told a story about how she had been fired and responded to life by saying thank you and looking forward to what was next but this
    one is similar:

http://www.essence.com/2012/05/04/oprah-shares-a-lesson-dr-maya-angelou-taught-her

Another of her lessons, Don't beat yourself up for things you have done in the past. When you know better, you do better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx447ShQLeE

satine_gw thanked Vertise
  • pkramer60
    7 years ago

Satine, could the rehab facility help in her job search? Maybe a talk with one of the counselors to help guide her?

Hang in there, both of you. She is drug free and working on bettering her life. Something will come through for her.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I am so sorry that she (and you) are going through these hardships related to her felony.

There is another way to look at it: but for the car incident which ultimately opened the path to treatment, she may have died, and I am glad she has had the courage and stamina to conquer her drug use.

I hope she is proceeding with the expungement.

• chisue
    7 years ago

Might she appeal to the court where she was sentenced? She's done everything asked of her. Maybe there is a program to help her -- and other people who have turned their lives around.

Why would anyone try to turn things around if they will never be given an opportunity to earn respect -- and a decent living?

• eld6161
    7 years ago

First of all Satine, you did what you had to do to help your daughter!

I to am so happy that this post shared good news. Your daughter is drug free for 5 years. Congratulations!

What type of work is she applying for? I am wondering how in depth most companies go?

• glenda_al
    7 years ago

Loving thoughts for you and your daughter!

• tami_ohio
    7 years ago

I am so happy to hear that your DD is still clean! She has done everything she needed to do for herself. I can't add anything more that hasn't been said above, so I will just add that you are both in my prayers. God has not closed a door, that he hasn't opened a better one afterwards. She will succeed.

• stacey_mb
    7 years ago

So sorry that you are going through this heartache with your daughter. It's hopeful that she's done so many positive things for herself and in that way, is headed in the right direction. A good work record, as she is establishing, will go a long way toward future success for her.

• Jak Perth
    7 years ago

Satine, you are not alone.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

No Satine, you are not alone. I know that she is disappointed but just as others have said, better things are coming for her. Forgive yourself, you saved her life.

• fran1523
    7 years ago

Hugs to you. I hope things work out for her and for you. Stay strong.

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

I also was scared to read this post, remembering that awful part of both of your lives. So she is still sober and still working. Your daughter is a fighter, and she will get through this!

satine_gw thanked sleeperblues
  • susie53_gw
    7 years ago

Saltine, hang in there. I know you love your daughter dearly and want nothing but the best for her. It is a wonderful thing that she has been doing so well for 5 years. That is a huge accomplishment. It is hard to see them taking so many steps forward and get pushed back a step or two along the way. Never stop telling her how much you love her and how proud you are of her.. You are a wonderful mom and in the years ahead she will always remember you being there for her. A moms love and support are always never ending!! Hugs to you and your daughter, Saltine!!

satine_gw thanked susie53_gw
  • chisue
    7 years ago

Illinois has the John Howard Association. One of its projects is assisting prisoners who are re-entering society. There may be something similar available to your DD.

satine_gw thanked chisue
  • Julie
    7 years ago

Satine, I feel your hurt. I remember you going through all that stuff with your daughter.....I've had you in my mind and in my heart ever since. I've gone through some "stuff" with my son as well. It sucks when you want more for your kid than they seem to want for themselves. But it REALLY sucks when they are trying their hardest and having doors slammed in their faces. Snookums was right....something better is on it's way. When it gets here (and it will!), you can rejoice!!! :)

satine_gw thanked Julie
  • kittiemom
    7 years ago

Satine, you said: "She has started the expungment process which takes 3 months but the only thing that does is to allow you to legally answer no if asked if you have a conviction. If someone searches the court records the conviction will still show. I think the only way to avoid that is to have a record sealed which they only do for minors."

Perhaps you should look more closely into how expungement works in your state. I know the laws vary. In my state, expungement means that the criminal record is destroyed by court order and will no longer show up in court records or in a background search. It doesn't help a person a lot to say that their record is expunged if this still shows on a background check. Hopefully this is the same in your state.

I hope she can soon find something better; she's worked hard.

• phoggie
    7 years ago

I have no advice, but you did what you had to do...she is alive...be thankful for that...sending you many hugs!

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

It hurts no matter the reason when our kids face challenges and obstacles. Your daughter has had more than her share. She has overcome so much already and she will continue to strive. The right opportunity will come her way.

• satine_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Finally some positive news! My daughter called the court where she had been charged to ask some questions regarding the expungment. She was told that she does not have a felony on her record because her case was "nolle prosequis" which means that the prosecutor was unwilling to prosecute. This means she was charged and the record is there but she was not found guilty. Her record can be expunged and according to the person she spoke with her record will no longer be public. She also talked to a lawyer who is a regular customer where she works and he confirmed this. Of course, she had volunteered to the people who were interviewing her that she had a felony so they would not go forward with the hiring process. She is going to wait until she has all the final paperwork from the court and then try job hunting again. I have learned one thing from this--never go to court without a lawyer!

• eld6161
    7 years ago

That is certainly good news! So true about havinglegal representation.

satine_gw thanked eld6161
  • sjerin
    7 years ago

I'm so glad to read this!! So good for your daughter that she pursued this and it has paid off. A high five to her!

satine_gw thanked sjerin
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

Oh some good news! How great for your daughter. You must be thrilled. BIG hugs to your daughter.

satine_gw thanked blfenton
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Oh that is so wonderful to hear!!!

satine_gw thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

Good for your daughter to take the initiative to call the court and get information first hand. This information will give her confidence as she continues her job search.

satine_gw thanked happy2b…gw
  • User
    7 years ago

I am so sorry Sandee, I'll keep you and your DD in prayers

satine_gw thanked User
  • tami_ohio
    7 years ago

I am so glad your DD called the courts and asked questions. She has come so far. And, yes, never go to court without representation.

satine_gw thanked tami_ohio
  • sedona16
    7 years ago

sustine, I hope you are feeling optimistic by the time you read this. I deal with addiction issues with my youngest son and I understand your heartbreak. There are places that will hire felons. Your daughter must go through the normal application process. If she is called for an interview she should expect the person to ask about her offense. Have her practice a response she is comfortable with such as I've worked hard to overcome a heroin addiction and make right all the wrongs that I committed. (Details are for nosey people, professionals will want assurance that she's over the hump and not liable to retreat to that behavior). Of course she should add that she would be very grateful for a chance to prove herself. I think there are employers out there who would be willing to give her a chance. Good luck.

• bry911
    7 years ago

She may not be out of the woods yet. You need to hire an attorney to get the arrest records expunged or sealed. Many employers now just hire out their records search to an agency who will run the arrest record and conviction record. Since your daughter was arrested for a felony it will still be a matter of public record and searchable. Getting the charges dismissed means that she wasn't convicted but unfortunately, innocent until proven guilty doesn't mean anything to an employer. They get to set the rules they care about, and if they care about charges (which they probably will) then you still can't get the job.

Before anyone goes crazy on companies, this is a problem with a litigious society. Employers could be on the hook for their employees' actions if those actions were foreseeable (such as public record for arrests).

• joyfulguy
    7 years ago

Greetings Satine,

I worried when I saw the heading that our daughter may have died ... or suffered the semi-death called addiction.

I'm pleased that the news was not of that kind ... but rather sad that you feel so rotten about your having done what was required. As a number have said ... to not have done so could very well have led to more disastrous results.

How proud you must be of her for having made such a successful recovery. And thankful, from the heart, as one contemplates what the results could well have been had she not become so wise, strong and persistent.

I send my good thoughts and hopes to both of you, and offer some prayer on your behalf.

(((((Satine ... and daughter)))))

ole joyful

satine_gw thanked joyfulguy