SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharkgirl2000

Clever DD bored with school/should homeschool?

Iowacommute
7 years ago

I have a 5 year old in kindergarten, and when I say she is very clever I mean she is extremely clever. She reads chapter books and can discuss the plot development, in addition to basic arithmetic she has started multiplication. She is very sweet, kind, and introspective. She is involved in soccer, gymnastics, and previously two years of dance.

We just moved back to Missouri from Iowa, and while she talks and plays with kids at school she doesn't really have what she considers friends. Her dad and I are complete wallflowers so the fact that she loves the spotlight from performing and the recognition sometimes makes us wonder where she came from.

Here's the thing. We've talked with her teacher a few times because DD is extremely bored and no longet likes school which is a total 180 from last year in preschool or even the first day of school this year. Her teacher keeps saying "I have many smart kids" which I don't like using the word 'smart' but she's doing nothing to keep DD engaged.

DH is beside himself because he knows the school is doing nothing for her. I'm thinking a more formal sit down with the teacher and then taecher/principal is in order especially since we may pull her from school.

I have been a SAHM since day one, and I am very good at reading people (I spent a lot of times with police detectives growing up) and I am concerned we have a small window here to do something before our DD becomes too frustrated.

Also we are going through a big remodel inside and outside of our house at the moment with most of the work being done by us (mostly me). DD said "she's over it" and I do not want to being her home in 'this.'

Having said that I am confident I can homeschool for a while anyway. I am open to trying public school later on if she wants but have also thought about online school. However I have read on a couple of homeschool sites the online schools may not be much better academically foe her.

Okay. If you're still with me I guess I'm asking if anyone has any opinions or has been in this situation? Has anyone homeschooled? How to keep your bright kiddo from going stir crazy?

Are we expecting too much? My family keeps telling me she's 5. I know she's 5, but she does not act 5. Also i am the only one in my family with a college education while DHs family has many engineers and executives. So i dont know if that plays a part in how our families view this/support. We have always explained things to her in a very matter of fact way and never water things down.

If this sounds a mess...sorry. Maybe I'm thinking out loud, but I remember how bored I was throughout school and DH said he was the same way. I just do not want the same for our DD and she miss opportunities or developing potential.

Have you met a 5 year old with whom you can discuss deep space?

Comments (77)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor