SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Do rose breeders have groupies?

portlandmysteryrose
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Musicians do. Artists do. Authors do. Why not rose breeders? Is there anyone else out there who searches for and collects roses by breeder? I love it that sites like Rogue Valley Roses and Help Me Find list and sort by hybridizer. I'm going to share 10 of my favorite rose breeders and (in my opinion) their most magical creations. Warning: purple alert! Would you like to share? Are you a rose breeder groupie and, if so, what are your most beloved cultivars by your fav breeders?

~~Vagabond Carol itraveling the Internet in her cyber VW bus and tie dye and hot on the trail of the 10 breeders below~~

(1) Thomas Rivers and Son--'Tuscany Superb' (This breeder's roses seem to be mostly unattainable now, but I grow a hedge of Tuscany Superb!)

(2) John-Pierre Vibert--'Camaieux', 'La Ville de Bruxelles', 'Yoland d'Aragon'

(3) Louis-Joseph-Ghislain Parmentier--'Cardinale de Richelieu,' 'Hippolyte', 'Tricolore de Flandres'

(4) Jean Laffay--'Capitaine John Ingram', 'Duchesse de Montebello', 'Indigo'

(5) John Bentall--'Buff Beauty'

(6) Tom Carruth--'Midnight Blue', 'Ebb Tide'

(7) Paul Barden--'Rook', 'Etienne', "Paul's Unreleased Purple Gallica", 'Nightmoss', 'Marianne', 'Song of the Stars'

(8) Kim Rupert--'Purple Buttons', 'Lauren'

(9) Robert Basye--'Basye's Purple'

(10) David Austin--'The Prince', 'Tradescant', 'Tamora', 'Munstead Wood'

If I were to list an 11th, it would be a purple multiflora hybrid rambler breeder: either Eugene Turbat for 'Violette' or Bernard Mehring for Veilchenblau'.

Comments (42)