SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Nursery Rant

kittymoonbeam
7 years ago

I went to a small nursery near my parents home this weekend. The weather was hot and Santa Ana winds were just starting up. This family owned nsy has been there since the 60s and I always liked their selection of roses. Its not a big selection but well chosen and cared for. The same family still owns the place.

I was the only car in the parking lot on a saturday afternoon. I parked in the shade of a tree next to the chain link fence on the far side of the parking lot in the boonies. The elder son co-owner comes out to bark at me to park in front because its easier to load the plants. I always load my own plants but they want to provide this for customers. Now he knows me well after all these years as a rose and flower customer but keeps insisting that I move my car. I dont think that if I had one customer only on a Saturday afternoon, I would bother them like that when I am willing and usually load everything myself. I moved because he seemed so upset but maybe the hot wind or something else was aggravating him.

What really worried me was the condition of the roses. This is prime fall flush season and those roses should look great right now. Chillli Trips had hit them hard and all the plants were severly disfigured. Someone else came over to talk to me and I asked when the Thrips had appeared ( this year, last year?) The answer was What Thrips? So I said the roses were showing some significant damage. Oh yeah, THOSE thrips. Well, they were only bothering the roses so they were just cutting off the damage, not spraying or anything. This guy was a new guy so I didnt say anything just walked around and bought cool season seeds and some fall bulbs and I left feeling discouraged.

What irritates me is that the owners have just given up and they are willing to sell these roses to someone to infect their collection or maybe its a new person and that rose is going to die of thrips and they cant see the bugs so maybe they blame themselves. GRRRRRRR

This guy who barked at me about the car should know better and I wonder if hes just writing the whole bunch of roses off ( they have about 200 more 5 gal plants in the back area ) and not order more next year. I hate to see them like that because in years past that parking lot would be close to full on a weekend. I used to say that was a good place to buy roses but never again.

Comments (8)