SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayceeach

Rootbound Ficus Lyrata

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone, hoping I can get some advice here about what to do with what I suspect is a rootbound FLF.

Some background - I've had it for over a month now, and it's 2 plants in one pot (2 gallon nursery pot). It sits in a southwest facing window with the curtains open during the day and to date I have not had any major issues with it besides a couple of dropped leaves when it first came home. It's still in it's original potting mix, which looks to be pretty bark-heavy, though I'm the first to admit that I don't have a good frame of reference to say for sure. Given the time of year, I was hoping to let it settle in and see how it was coming along before deciding if it needed to be repotted or if it could wait til next summer.

A few weeks ago, I've noticed that the top leaves of one tree (Tree A) were wilting, which I attributed to the plant needing water. Ever since then, there's been a repeated pattern of seeing Tree A start to wilt, giving it water, it perking up, then 5ish days later, it will wilt again. Meanwhile, Tree B seems perfectly fine this whole time.

I'm starting to suspect that the potting mix is drying out a lot faster than it should. The dowel test confirmed that it's not bone dry, but a lot drier than I would expect from a plant this size that was watered earlier this week. I've also noticed roots circling the top of the pot, which has led me to believe the plant is rootbound. Unfortunately I cannot check for sure until a later this week, when I'll have someone around to help wrangle the trees out of the pot.

That said, I'm hoping someone can tell me if they see any signs of something else that may be at play. I'm reasoning that the wilting doesn't have to do with light and temperature, as Tree B seems to be taking to those conditions just fine. The only thing that I can think of is that Tree A's roots are more congested and aren't getting as much water as Tree B, but I'm totally open to someone offering another explanation.

Assuming the plant is rootbound, does anyone have any advice for how to deal with this? Could I continue to water more often to compensate for how quickly the potting mix is drying out and ride it out until summer? If I should repot now, what course of action would you recommend? Would root pruning be too traumatic for this time of year? Should I pot up in new potting mix and then root prune/pot back down in the summer? Should I separate Tree A and Tree B altogether and care for them as separate plants going forward?

Sorry for writing a novel. If you've stuck around til the end and have any suggestions to offer, I'd very much appreciate it!

Some pictures of the trees (left is Tree B, right is wilty Tree A), and the potting mix:

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations