SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Need advice about printing on fabric

polardream
7 years ago

We are expecting our first grandbaby in December and have come up with a design for a quilt, and wanted to use a quote on the front of the quilt. They are doing a Harry Potter type theme for the nursery and are not finding out the gender before baby arrives.

The square would be 8-1'2 x 14. I have read that you can use an ink-jet printer and that pigment based ink works best. My printer uses black pigment based, the color is dye based. The videos I watched showed using either the store purchased fabric or a cotton fabric. I woulld prefer using a white on white cotton fabric and trying the freezer paper method since I haven't seen any of the commercial fabrics bigger than 8-1/2 x 11 and it would blend better in the quilt.

1. One video recommended setting the fabric with Retayne after you print it and let it set at least 24 hours. I have used Retayne and wondered if anyone else has tried this method.

2. Since it will probably be washed often, have you made anything with a printed piece and does it really last?

3. My other option would be to try using my Pfaff and sew the quote, but I only have a couple of type faces and they are not as easy to read.

4. Any other ideas of how to put the quote on the fabric? (It is fairly long)

Thanks!!!

Sue

Comments (9)