SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_matherne

Kitchen renovation- cooking appliances

We are renovating our kitchen as part of a whole home renovation. Trying to work out what combination of cooking appliances we want and where.

We cook at home 90% of the time. I am the main cook, but am not a fancy one by any stretch. My husband has less time to cook but is much more the "real" cook in the family. We usually have at least two cooks working together to make dinner (we have a teen and a senior living with us).

Our house only has electric, it currently has a 30" induction cooktop with a microwave/vent over it (which we hate) and a set of double ovens. Our budget for all new appliances (all cooking, refrigeration, dishwasher) will be in the $10,000-$15,000 range. We will be replacing all the cabinets, so we are flexible on widths.

We use our microwave multiple times daily, mainly for steaming veggies or rice and reheating items. I don't use any "automated" functions on our microwave, just the timer and power levels. It is almost always going simultaneously with the cooktop.

We use our cooktop daily and often use multiple pots at once. We will be doing more food preservation (canning, freezing, etc.) after the renovation.

We use our oven about four times per week, but only about 4" of oven space (homemade pizza, fish, roasted veggies, baked chicken, biscuits, etc.) I am not a baker by any stretch, cookies might happen ½ a dozen times a year. The only time the oven has multiple dishes in it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. We never roast chicken and we only do a (small) turkey twice a year.

We were originally looking at keeping our induction cooktop, replacing one of the wall ovens with the GE single/double oven, and replacing the second wall oven with a new microwave. However GE has discontinued their single/double oven and we haven't been able to find anything similar.

Our second thought was to replace the cooktop with a slide-in induction range with a double-oven, one of the wall ovens with a microwave, and the other wall oven with cabinetry. However induction ranges with double ovens also seem to be a bit hard to find.

If you've made it this far I would really appreciate hearing any advice or suggestions. If there is something I've left out please let me know.

Comments (11)