SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beasty_gw

Appliance Package for Kitchen Renovation

beasty
12 years ago

Hi all, I've been surfing around the site for a couple of weeks now and it has been super helpful in clarifying my thinking on appliance choice.

I am redoing my kitchen and will be getting a new refrigerator, range, microwave and ovens. I've gone to look at appliances a couple of times now, and I think I've narrowed it down, but I would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions about what I'm thinking.

Basically, I'm looking for the following;

-- ease of use (ie, not a lot of complicated controls and such, which I just won't use)

-- easy to clean

-- reliability & good customer service

-- safe to have with kids around

-- at least 4 burners

-- fairly quick boil: I cook a lot of pasta

-- an indoor grill/charbroiler as I live in an apartment and don't have an outdoor grill

-- at least 2 ovens, one of which can be a smaller size like you find under a 48inch range

I cook a lot of pasta and I also saute a lot. I use my oven for both roasting stuff and baking cookies, cakes, etc (basically, the sweet stuff). I need to store food for a family of 5 -- right now we have a 36 inch side by side that always seems pretty full (but, really, isn't that the nature of refrigerators).

I live in NYC and although I have a large kitchen for NYC, I don't have unlimited space, especially for upper cabinets. So although I would love wall ovens, I definitely don't have room for 2 of them, and I think I might not have room for even 1 of them. My budget is pretty open -- I'm willing to pay for what I need/want if necessary.

So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Refrigerator/Freezer: 42 inch side by side subzero (I looked at other brands, but I was concerned about reliability for some, and I also didn't like the Liebherr or JennAir interiors after seeing them in person, and Miele didn't have quite the configuration I wanted)

2. Range&Ovens:

Either

A) 48 inch wolf dual fuel range (4 burners, 1 griddle, 1 charbroiler) with 1.5 ovens below

or

B) 48 inch bluestar (4 burners, 1 griddle, 1 charbroiler) with 1.5 ovens below

or

C) 36 inch bluestar (4 burners, 1 charbroiler) with 1 oven below and single 30 inch Wolf oven (I don't know whether L or E series would be better)

On the range and oven, I am wondering whether just having gas ovens will be problematic on the baking front.

3. Microwave: sharp microwave drawer

Any thoughts would be very welcome! And thank you in advance.

Comments (2)