SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
islandgarden

Shingle Style House Kitchen: All New Plans (pls critique!)

islandgarden
7 years ago

Some of you patiently and helpfully gave me advice while we were trying to work within our existing footprint. Do to other work that has to happen and a porch that needs work, plans have evolved and we are now going to enlarge the kitchen and add a mudroom (!). So no problem adding French doors and a nice sized banquette.

Size of kitchen: 23 x 17 feet (this is the longest dimension of the kitchen with the french doors x sink run).

I'd appreciate feedback on the design. Please note:

1. Banquette will be a bit shorter so that entrance from mudroom can be more generous (currently 4' wide, want it to be at least 4.5' or maybe 5').

2. Banquette windows drawn incorrectly: along back wall they will go all the way down to the banquette and on the long side of the banquette the sole window will be taller and go to the top of the banquette back

3. Sink run windows--have to work around the steel beam. I hate the off center sink so perhaps 3 windows instead of 4 with the center window being wider (double casement perhaps?)

4. Pantry layout remains the same but we will add a second dishwasher to the main kitchen next to the new kitchen sink

5. Need help on cabinet layout--bought a recycled kitchen and want to use most of those cabinets but don't have to use all--will post details as a separate question)

6. Help with lighting plan! don't want all cans. Do want great reading light in banquette esp opposite wall of windows

7. Small deck for French doors currently 6' wide x 3' deep as back garden is tiny and we will have a bluestone patio. Would 4' deep make all the difference in the world? oh yes and that door will be centered :-)

Any other thoughts/feedback?

Many thanks for all your help!

Comments (10)