SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 121 - Aging in place kitchen planning - did you or didn't you?

beachem
7 years ago

As we get older, planning for aging in place becomes important. Even if you're a spry 20 or 30 yrs old, many aspects of aging in place are useful. Try getting into a tub shower with a walker when you're hunched over after abdominal surgery. It doesn't work.

When I bought my house in my 20s, I specified and paid extra for a downstairs, walk in shower along with a bedroom. I felt it was important but couldn't have told you why at the time. Scroll along many years later and that shower has been a godsend as I went through surgery recovery and elderly parents moved in.

During my kitchen planning, I constantly had to take into account the needs of my elderly parents - wheelchair, arthritis, weak muscles, vertigo, etc...

Here are some of my design choices:

1) Making sure that we have all drawers or roll outs on lower cabinets.

2) Having a lower counter space for meal prep or eating for wheelchair accessibility. I made mine mobile and hidden.

3) Touch or easy to use water spigots - I'm planning to use the knee push Tapmaster. The foot one would keel my dad over if he had to balance on one foot.

4) Wall oven with French doors - Avoidance of bending over.

5) Our old built in microwave was counter height but we don't have room so it's below the counter - not optimum.

What are some touches that you did in your kitchen to accommodate future needs as you get older? What would you recommend?

Comments (22)