SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Things you did when you didn't know any better

mmqchdygg
15 years ago

I only started gardening in earnest about 4 years ago. Before that, I made lame attempts at it, not having a CLUE what I was doing, but going through the motions. A post on the "HH's at Lowe's" thread got me thinking that there really is a reason why people would buy starter plants- because they simply don't know any better.

Had I not found this website, I'd still be floundering most unsuccessfully; I'm so glad I found the people here!

So here's to some of the stupid things I did as an ignorant Wannabe Gardener:
Tried to 'refresh' an heirloom row of peonies one year thinking they needed to be dug up because they were so old...they must need to be refreshed, right? Sad to say, this not-even-newbie-gardener was the cause of the demise of this 50-plus-year-old row of peonies planted by my family... :(

Planted a veggie garden one year because it was late- probably mid-June, but it was also during a rainstorm. Transplanted several starter plants into an unprepared old vegetable garden of mud. After the rains drained, my plants were now living in hard-packed mass of horrible soil. No veggies THAT year!

Never started anything from seed other than direct-sown vegetables. I got a 'little' better at the gardening thing when I was about 30-something, but I still had no clue what I was doing, and things didn't 'thrive' much.

...then I found GW, and the rest is history.

Gardening is such a fun thing for me; who knew it really was SO easy with a little bit of RIGHT information!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County