SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macgyvers2000

Water intrusion around window

macgyvers2000
7 years ago

For whatever reason, the builders decided to put basement windows below ground level but NOT connect the window wells to the French drain system... not a brilliant plan, but what's done is done. Normally this isn't an issue, but about once a year we get a MASSIVE rain that causes the ground to be waterlogged, a river runs through the backyard, and the wells begin to fill up for about an hour.

My question... is the seal around a window designed to hold back water if partially submerged (it gets about 1/3rd of the way up a 1'-high window)? I'm not talking about the frame itself, that appears to be good... it's the weather stripping seal that contacts the frame while the window is closed (opens on hinges downward, not sliding).

At only several inches, we're not talking about high-pressure water, but it dribbles through. If this is normal behavior (water-resistant only), I'll look into digging up the well and attaching it to the drainage system. If this once-a -year problem can be resolved with a replacement seal, that will obviously be significantly less expensive and I'll go that route.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County