SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

updating weekend wear

User
7 years ago

I am finding that my weekend (non work) casual wardrobe is in need of some assistance. I am fine with jeans for the most part but I think I need some updating with my tops. In the summer I am a major fan of capris and sandals and somehow feel very updated wearing them (maybe because I am so comfy). I am not really asking for dressy clothing - I really want help with my Saturday morning Sunday all day running around casual attire. We lead a very informal life.

For fall/winter/spring, somehow I don't feel very chic in my long jeans (they are relatively skinny and updated) and I think it's because I just wear the same old on top. (v neck tshirts, sweaters etc)..

So what do you wear on top ? I feel like I need to go and get a few "updated" tops and maybe shoes as well but when I go shopping lately I just return empty handed and hardly even try anything on. I have tried browsing on the web but I just don't feel it. Hoping my forumfriends can help me.

(and posting pix or links would be totally appreciated)

Comments (25)

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

I am in love with Lord & Taylor's cardigans. The neckline is not as low as some and they have faceted clear buttons that add a bit of sparkle. I got a whole slew of the cotton ones, but they have cashmere, too. I wore them all summer with a tank or v-neck tee underneath and now that it's cooler, I'm wearing contrasting colour long sleeve tees underneath. I feel comfortable around the house in them but if I go out to run errands, I throw on a pair of wedges and I feel presentable. I found they fit a tiny bit small, so I got some in my usual medium and a couple in large.

User thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • deegw
    7 years ago

Is it cool/cold where you live? For the fall and winter, I have a few cute coats with colorful scarves that make me feel put together while I am out and about. Then it doesn't matter so much if I have on the same old jeans and shirt.

User thanked deegw
  • Related Discussions

Victoria Day weekend update! :-)

Q

Comments (8)
    What a lovely garden you have developing. Good ol`bleeding hearts - you can always count on them - they were a standby for me in Yellowknife - usually the first thing to show itself - never a disappointment. Things are blooming down here as well, the Winnipeg Parks roses are barely there but they are sending some shoots up so I hope they don`t look too ragged. Still hoping to get a hummingbird this was - have the feeders out and fingers crossed!
    ...See More

Wedding Wear Updates

Q

Comments (22)
    Maire_cate, I love L&T! My favorite place to shop for special occasion dresses, but there is no location near me. There is one in my hometown. No weddings this summer, but I needed a dress for an awards ceremony at my conference (I became recognized as a Fellow in my professional organization) and dinner. I went to the largest location of local dept store since they have a giant special occasion dress section figuring *something* had to work. I found this Ann Klein dress that is very figure flattering--though I normally have trouble with sheath styles, and I am not at the size I would like to be. I did not feel either overdressed or under-dressed. Plus, It is a knit. Then I went upstairs and tried on some shapewear with it. I felt as good as I could. It was the first dress I tried on out of a whole bunch. Many of the Anne Klein dresses were very flattering. I have a similar-looking vintage cocktail handbag from my mom, and I forgot to pack it. Here is a link that might be useful: Anne Klein dress
    ...See More

Update on: Glove to wear when using a knife????

Q

Comments (3)
    I wasn't sure what the "No Cry" gloves were, but I looked them up, and it turns out that I have been using them - mostly when I use my Microplane box grater.
    ...See More

Those who wear Boden - Sizing? (Updated)

Q

Comments (21)
    @hcbm, I am glad you enjoy my self-indulgent clothing posts lol! Ah, I was confused at first because I thought all the reviews for theEva Jersey Midi dress were raving about the fit and comfort... but I think I figured it out: I suspect you found this dress (below)-- it was also on my list but passed on because I have a similar dress from Jjill. This one has exactly the complaints you are describing.. too bad, I think it is very pretty. Good luck! I am sure you will find something that works for you. There are so many pretty dresses. I especially like the colors and patterns in the spring/summer dresses!
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I maybe misled when I said the running around errands but I want to look good and updated without the coat :). will look at Lord and Taylor cardigans. I do love me my cardigans but maybe those need updating as well.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

We are coming into the time of year when I feel most "put together" with little effort. I have a core wardrobe of nicer long sleeved tees (either all cotton or a touch of lycra) but the key for me is the wide range of sweaters and jackets/blazers, scarves and jewelry I can throw together for a "look". I especially like the long sweaters that will work as a jacket for me well into the fall. I have one from Ralph Lauren that HAS to be 10 yr old but I wear the heck out of it each year.

I was never big into button down shirts-- unless you count the oversized men's GAP shirts I wear around the house with only short socks. I DO wear turtlenecks. In fact, just yesterday I was wondering whether it was too soon for the cotton turtenecks. Again, a scarf, a great necklace or a great cardigan can all elevate and pull the look together.

Shoes are my struggle this year (and last.. and the one before that). My feet have gotten wider and much more sensitive. I struggle to find something that is cute AND comfortable. My favorite pointy-toe suede booties have gasped their last breath and I have yet to find a replacement that is as comfortable. I also wore the heck out of a pair of bronze-platinum colored penny loafers and they are definitely working their way to the garbage heap. I need a full wardrobe of basics and fun shoes.

User thanked Funkyart
  • llitm
    7 years ago

As mentioned above it's the accessories and shoes. I have basic tees and jeans that look "meh" without the accessories. I now have a very nice collection of necklaces, bracelets, scarves, ponchos, and a few jackets to pull my casual look together. Shoes and boots help, too, but I find I don't need a large number, just a few stylish ones in basic brown and black.

User thanked llitm
  • nini804
    7 years ago

Ditto the shoes!! I feel like I always look better if I am wearing awesome shoes.

User thanked nini804
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

I buy light weight jackets at Chicos, have a good assortment and I use solid color square neck tops. Earrings, maybe a necklace, sharp shoes and many bracelets and I'm good to go. I also a little heavier group of jackets for cooler fall days.

User thanked Yayagal
  • tinam61
    7 years ago

Wow Funky! We are still in the 90s here so I can't even imagine a t-neck LOL.

I'm going to pretend it is cool weather and give you my ideas. I'm currently wearing a tee and shorts. I did wear a chambray shirt and cropped pants to the farmers market, vet and grocery store this morning.

Around the house and for just running out to the store, errands, etc. I love yoga pants. Even better pants out of that same type fabric but with a straight slim leg. You can put different tops with them for different looks. Longer shirts, cardigans, long knit tops, etc. Jeans - I like either the skinny leg that can be cuffed or a flared leg. I do not wear that many totally flat shoes other than some of my warm weather sandals. For fall I wear clogs/mules, booties, etc. I am loving the newer peep toe shooties and in our climate I could wear them probably through Thanksgiving or later. I bought a pair of peep toe sling back mule looking shoes - black leather. They have a chunky heel - not too high - and will look great with skinny jeans, flare leg jeans or the straight leg dress pants I wear. I like the boho and peasant style tops while the weather is still mild. A shirt or tee and a vest. I have alot of longer shirts that look good with the skinny jeans or leggings. I personally do not wear actual leggings - I have some thicker fabric (ponte?) stretch pants that are a very straight, narrow leg but thicker and not quite as fitted as leggings. They look good with the longer tops/shirts. Depending on the shoe you can dress them up/down.

I also really like some of the ponchos. Denim and chambray shirts or jackets are also a great casual look and again - depending what you wear them with and your accessories - can be dressed up or down.

User thanked tinam61
  • Sueb20
    7 years ago

I like Lucky Brand jeans and although many of their shirts are too long for me, I have a few that I like. They have quite a few comfortable tops that are casual but have a cute boho style. I sometimes have luck at AT Loft, too.

If I'm wearing a basic tee and jeans (which is often) I feel more stylish if I am wearing accessories like earrings and necklace. I am a jewelry addict.

User thanked Sueb20
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I was also going to suggest Lucky for tops. I get tired of wearing shirt styles that are made more like t-shirts even if they aren't t-shirts and have found some really cute boho and peasant style long-ish tops that aren't very expensive on the Lucky website on sale. I also occasionally find some at AT loft, and DD is really good at finding things there online. Another great online resource is 6pm.com. I just bought some very casual fall tops by Kuhl & Toad & Co at a great price at 6pm. I can wear most of these tops with either jeans or skinny knit pants.

Yoga pants that aren't too fitted are also a go-to for me when I'm running errands and really casual. I'm including a quick photo of one of the Lucky tops. I've been wearing it in summer too over cream capris but will wear it in fall too over denim.

For shoes in fall and winter, I love wearing my Eileen Fisher flat heel booties. They were pricey but so worth it to me as I can wear with tights and skirts to work or with pants and they really hold up well. Vince Camuto and Sam Edelman also have some cute styles I have seen this year. I have some other peep-toe booties I wear while the weather is still warm if I need a higher heel, and a pair of mules I sometimes wear.

It's still very warm here too (I don't live too far from Tina) but eventually I'll be wearing a long cardigan or poncho over a T or light sweater.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is a good reminder to me about Lucky Brand. I have one t shirt I bought about 4 years ago (yes, v neck with a big flower-in a gorgeous periwinkle color) that is my favorite. I am definitely going to search out more Lucky stuff. (pretty sure I got it at Marshall's). Good tip about 6pm.

And I do typically wear ballet flats with my skinny jeans or in cooler weather, nice flat chunky boots. ( really need comfort shoes so while wedge sandals work for me, for closed shoes wedges are not so comfy). I do need to get some new ballet flats because I have been wearing out the ones I have. Good reminder.

I am in my mid 60's and am a large or even extra large depending so we are not talking about a young lean body here.

• 4kids4us
    7 years ago

While shopping with my teenage daughter earlier this summer, we happened to walk thru Lord and Taylor. She loves Free People and they often have their items on sale. I like some of their things but if it is too free flowing/boho, I feel like it just makes me look heavy or fat, but I did find a few cute tops. They also had some Lucky tops on sale-I found two that I liked and bought. I also by chance found some Lucky brand at TJ Maxx. My problem is that I can't wear things tucked in (belly bulge) so that prevents me from buying nice tailored button downs. I also am not comfortable in "crisp" tops - things that are 100% cotton or that need ironing. In between weather temps are hard for me b/c I prefer a cotton blend so I was pleased to find the Lucky shirts are a nice comfortable material that don't make me feel too "dressed up" but are nicer than just something that looks like a t-shirt.

I agree that jewelry and accessories can really make an outfit and while I admire my friends wholook so put together with accessories, most of the time I feel like if I'm just running to grocery store or a quick errand, then going home to cook or fold laundry,'etc. then I don't want to be bothered. But of course then I never look quite as nice as some of my friends!

• User
    7 years ago

My favorite shirts are from Wrap London and Poetry(FashionUSA). My favorite shirts are not offered at the moment, but are hemp. Great fabric.

• deegw
    7 years ago

When I am shopping I always grab Lucky Brand tops to try on but inevitably they are too short on me. Same thing happens with Boden. I am not terribly tall but I have a long torso. For me, looking put together and modern is all about finding pants and tops that are the right proportion for my shape. It's hard!

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

I want to try an Untuckit shirt. Anyone ever buy from them? Until I lose more weight, I do not feel comfortable tucking in my shirt but i want a tailored look. I just signed up and they will send a 15% off coupon. Not cheap, but I need stuff that fits and looks good.

Untuckit white shirt ladies

• cattyles
    7 years ago

I love the look of those shirts, gsciencechick! I think I will try one.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

Another vote for Lucky tops. Also, NYDJ has nice tops, they also launder very well. My casual shoes are from Cobb Hill (now owned by Rockport, mine were purchased when they were part of New Balance).

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I stopped at Marshall's today and tried on 4 lucky tops- 2 were great BUT for some reason they really showed too much cleavage. THey were the bohemian Indian looking very attractive, but with a keyhole neckline which really showed ...I tried thinking if I could wear a camisole or something but I dont usually like layering like that. Maybe they were just slightly off. I did get a similar type top from another brand and I am happy about that. I do think this was a great suggestion as it changed my view up a bit and it feels updated and comfy. Will be away for a few days but when I get back I will definitely head to Lord and Taylor and look for their lucky brand.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

I did order the Untuckit shirt in white, so I'll post a follow up after it arrives. There are stores in NY, LA, and Chicago.

http://www.untuckit.com/pages/store-locator

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

I'm a fan of wearing my work blazers with a tshirt, heels and jeans. It dresses them up and "locks & loads" my puffy parts.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

I like Dillards and Stein Mart.

• Bonnie
    7 years ago

I wear blouses, mostly solid that can be paired with a scarf or a sweater, depending on the weather. In the winter I tend to wear solid color sweaters with my jeans or leggings. Just got home from being away for the weekend, so some of this is coming out of the suitcase and some is being planned for next weekend-also away.

Black jeans with a white top and blue jeans with a white blouse are typical of my weekend attire. I DO love shoes and accessories!

This last picture is clothing that I purchased this weekend at a consignment shop: Chico's-travel skirt, shirt and pants. All can be dressed up or down.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

GScience, I always see the Untuckit ads but for they never seem to advertise for women.

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

What is special about the Untuckit blouses? In the photo it looks just like a regular white blouse and the little blue triangle at the bottom looks like it should be tucked in to hide it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES