SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gartleyideas

Late season cukes uneven shape: why?

gartleyideas
7 years ago

My Long English Cukes grow amazing in my greenhouse, this is the second season of the greenhouse. Again this year my cukes are no longer uniform shape, they have thin and thick regions, and it is quite obvious. Same as last year. I still have some that are a nice long uniform shape and all earlier cukes had the correct shape. I'm trying to figure out why.

Research as to why they can deform leads me to: too hot (doesn't make sense as it is getting colder now), poor pollination (online photos show deformities not like mine), water (doesn't make sense as I'm on irrigation and has been the same the whole season), over fertilization (I may, can't remember, have fertilized in July? with a standard veggie fertilizer, and if I did, only once. Before planting I added dairy farm aged compost).

Another problem late in the season are the cukes dying back and rotting from the end. Any reason for this? I've noticed a couple this season so far and late last season I lost quite a few due to this.

Greenhouse: Raised U shaped bed in a 8x14 polycarbonate greenhouse raised 20" off the ground (solid walls) for extra height. I have the auto roof vents and have run a fan inside running 24/7. The other plant I grow in it is tomato.

Thanks for any help. I'd love to figure this out and also prevent the die back so I can prolong my harvest. I can take pics if you want. They basically have what looks like a section that has ballooned out with a skinny part.

Comments (7)