SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vibi

I'm about to break THE rule, if no one has a better idea...

vibi
7 years ago

Bordering our driveway on about 40', we have a row of somekind of spruce or picea, very old (over 40' tall, bare trunks on about 20'). Nice natural definition for the mountains.

The patch of earth from them to the driveway is about 10' wide, and allthough it's a dead zone riddled with creeping weeds, petite dandelions, buttercups and tons of needles it's the background to our major flowerbed (the entrance/driveway) when one looks at it from my kitchen windows... hence the reason I want it perfect not only from the entrance point of view, but also from inside the house.

Nothing grows there, I've tried.

Hostas survive, but never expand, hydrangeas simply wont bother, grass doesn't get enough light, etc.

The patch is facing North, and gets 1 hour of sun in the morning/day sun IF that. It's an extremely acidic soil, allthough very, very rich, moist and well drained in a slight sloap, it's also hard to plant because of mature conifer root system.

Still, it's very warm since it's next to the driveway, it gets great air circulation and lots of good ambiant light, for the major flowerbed facing it gets a full 6 hours of sun.

So my idea to brighten things up over there, would be to cover the patch with the infamous, criminaly invasive variegated goutweed, which I'm sure I have hidding somewhere ;)

Any thoughts or suggestions on this gardener's mortal sin I'm about to perpetrate ?

Comments (18)