SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurel_warner

What to do when what you like breaks design rules?

Laurel Warner
8 years ago

I love colorful things in my house. Colorful, weird, eclectic, bold, you name it. Love it. I would love nothing more than to have a backsplash in my kitchen with all the colors I could think of in it and then some. Bold, crazy, all of that. I love it. Apparently not only does my husband not like it (he thinks it's too busy. I don't care about busy), but because our granite has a pattern in it rather than just being solid, I can't do it now because it would be "too much" and "conflict" and be "too busy" with the granite. I have looked at Houzz pictures, and sure enough, the pictures of kitchens with cool colorful backsplashes are all paired with more solid colored counters. We are on a budget, and the backsplash is the only thing I feel like I can splurge on since I'll be doing it later after we move in. The builder is just putting standard stuff in, and so we didn't have the option to pick a more solid granite, it wasn't in the price group we could pick from. Now I'm sad and wondering if I have to put up with stupid blah boring tile on my backsplash instead of what I really want. You see clean - I see boring. You see not busy - I see blah. Is there any way to satisfy my need for color and weirdness and eclecticness?

Comments (31)