SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Is this fig ripe yet? Seems so, but isn't purple...

cfox248
7 years ago

My fig tree grew one fig this year. It is a mission fig, so they are supposed to be purple. I left for a week and when I came back it has all the signs of being ripe but it isn't purple yet... it grew quite a bit in size, is drooped down to the branch, and is quite soft to the touch. It has some purple streaking but isn't all purple. It's a new baby tree so I'm okay with one fig but I want to make that one fig count!

Is it ripening or is it rotting or? I read that they shouldn't go so soft until they're fully ripe, amd this guy is really soft when it is gently squeezed. It's probably almost grew by 1/3 size while I was gone for the week.. It's Minnesota so it is getting cold at night and not warming up as much as probably wants, so I'm wondering if maybe, like citrus trees, it's possible to be ripe but not fully colored because of the temps? How long does it take once they start to color to get all colored? I'd love to eat the one fig I got but I don't want to pick it too soon or too late and ruin it, I've been waiting for this little fig forever!

Comments (6)