SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herman2_gw

New Jersey Fig trees,will produce ripe fruits,only if ....

herman2_gw
16 years ago

One find the right cultivars.

Most cultivars needs more heat and therefore will not ripe their fruits till end of season.

Still some fig cultivars,such as Sal's fig,English Brn Trk,Black Marseilles,Hardy Chicago,Celeste(If you find one that does not drop fruits),Brunswick,Will Reliably,Fruit here if Planted on south -west of house,as close as possible,and protected from cold the first three winters(till adult).

This is my results so far after 12 years growing figs here,and trying about 100 varieties.I also had prior Experience growing fig in Europe toghether with my father who loves them too.

P.S.:I was buying figs from everywhere :Large nationwide Chainstore ,Large nurseries,and Small private collector.

If you want to get the right variety,look for a a small private collector,or ask him to recommend you a reputable nursery.

All fig trees i got from large chain stores,were seadling (not true varieties)that,eather, will not fruit,will drop before ripe,will be insipid, or will not have time to mature here,till cold weather starts.

I wrote this post knowing that it will remain on the Internet a long time and it will do a lot of good to the new Gardeners,so they will avoid some of the disappointments i had.Fig is a wonderful fruit for the whole family,(children Too),but is very easy to get a first tree, that does not deliver,and to loose interest in growing it.

Happy Gardening and Good Luck!!!!!!!

Comments (56)

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Read The Fig Forum More often:You will find some of us frustrated with some figs they bought,naming where they bought it from.
    Also a few will brag about how good their fig is and where they got it from.
    Once you found that out,you contact the source,and ask if they will sell you a fig.Hope this will help

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi buck1173 I am sorry being ruff to you.
    I understand,it is not easy to find good sources from the start.I was wabling around a lot till i got a few good figs.
    Email me in private and i will let you know more from what you want to know.Peace

• Related Discussions

Florea and Other Superhardy Figs

Q

Comments (14)
    You mentioned you did not like the taste of a fig. How do you know in advance of planting a variety and waiting for it to mature, bear fruit and ripen whether or not it will be sweet and luscious? Figs I buy in the supermarket come in two or three varieties but the supermarket just labels them figs and does not give a variety. I am taking early retirement from my overseas job and moving to the panhandle of Florida this June- sandy soil and one block from the salt air of the East Bay. I have been looking forward to planting figs for the last several years. How do I know what kind to order? If there was a variety called "Sweet Luscious Beauty" the choice would seem clear, or would it? Kate
    ...See More

New Jersey Italian fig trees

Q

Comments (28)
    I have a unknown from 10k south of bolonia that just past its third season and just gave me 1 ripe, all the rest fell off in similar way, they turned a dark reddish purple, started to shrivel and when just touched they fell 1 by 1. Late in season one swelled overnight and i said to myself this 1 is going to make it actually swelled unlike all the others i gave a couple more days and observed it as it turned purple and then i cut to see inside and ate it was sweet tasting but still to early to tell only 1 , so i think maybe some tree's might take longer , also the root system needs cutting bad with new soil , will see in its fourth season and post, here is a few pictures of the figs, the one ripe i anxiously ate last season before i could take a picture. Martin
    ...See More

New Jersey last Harvest

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Herman, I picked a few leftover figs from my Peters Honey today, I didn't think they would be that good because everything is almost bare, but I think they were much better today than last month!! They were so Sweet!! I think this week we had of over 70 and warm at night made them come back. They were trying to ripen a week and so ago, but it was very cold, they did nothing, but this week they ripened and were delicious. All done though this year I think. Ciao
    ...See More

pruning figs

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the great advice I've received from this Forum over the past couple of years. I've been growing figs for about 4 years here in Northern VA., Brn Turkey, Celeste, Chicago Hardy, Marcelles and LSU Purple. I learned about pruning when my first ( Brn Turkey) was not producing ripe fruit before frost (thanks Herman). I just winterized with burlap wrap and will pile mulch at base this week. I cut a few branches and would like to know the best way to turn these into new trees for next year. They were cut today and are currently in standing in a bucket of water. I do prune in the spring to rid some of the small or dead shoots. See my 1st fig grows like a bush with about 6-8 older thunks and i let the new shoots go thru the winter as well and cut the bad in the spring. I then have been letting about another 10 shoot up top them when they have 6-8 leaves and then wait on the fruit. Each year i have better production. I would appriciate any other suggestions. I will also be looking to get some more established fig trees, cuttings, varieties, in future. I also did bring one small Celeste in the basement this year, should i let it go dormant as its doing now, water it? or is it advisable to put some sort of grow lite on it? Thank you, Rickc_2010
    ...See More
  • alb419_ny
    16 years ago

Vasille,one fig that does really good here in up state ny.is what I believe is Marsielle ,a friend of mine has this fig and I will get two cuttings in the fall.The fig is very large,and ripens the end of August here.It is super sweet ,too sweet for my taste,but for sure a very large white early fig with good honey taste.I can send you one of the cuttings the end of October if you don`t have this fig,would like to get your opinion about this fig.Blessing to you,
    Giuseppe

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Giuseppe

• buck1173
    16 years ago

herman, no problem! I appreciate you're trying to help me.... I do not know to email you privately, if you can figure out how to email me, pleae go ahead.

it must be difficult to help me because not only do I know nothing about figs, but I'm a first time gardener too. This year was my first time planting anything ever (tomatoes) and now I'm already starting on a huge garden for next year (veggies).

Reading that it is possible to have figs in NJ is like a dream come true for me, but I know its a huge challenge too, so I must learn as much as possible before starting - so I don't waste $$$ and so when my boyfriend wants to kill me for having so many plants, at least I can tempt him with the possibility of tasty figs. ; )

I found a nursery I think might be good for me, in northern NJ (though I will be growing in southern NJ).

I've decided I want to try these kinds: bturkey, celeste, galbun, melanzana, sicilian & verte (I know you said otherwise at the top of this post, but I'm a hard-headed woman : ) and need convincing to change my mind)

so here are my questions - if anyone has the time:

1) for first time getting started in figs, when is the best season to start? now? spring?

2) can my fig trees live in a greenhouse during the winter?

3) how do I choose a good tree when buying?

4) where is the best source to learn to identify real trees? ie, I want a real english brown turkey, not an imposter as I've read can happen, where do I learn so I can know?

thank you everyone.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi buck1173:Please Click now on my screen name,and then you will find a line on next page saying"Send me an Email".
    Click on it and you are there.I changed my profile now so it will take an email.Best regards

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

My 1st JH Adriatic of the season. Very tasty, closed eye, itÂs a keeper, gonna put one in the ground next year, god willing. The UCD Adriatic ripened 6 so far, all split WIDE open, almost to the stem, covered with ants, havenÂt tasted one yet.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank You Keith,for telling us the results.I sent you a email trough GW email.

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

Herman,

DidnÂt receive an email from GW but you can email me at

+NorthJerseyGardensAlive+ +@+ +msn.+ +com+

just remove the +

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Keith

• bill44
    16 years ago

Buck , I live in Egg Harbor.I may be able to help you out with some trees. I have several varieties in gal. pots send me an E-mail . Bill.

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

Herman,

Had a couple more JH Adriatic this morning, strongest strawberry taste I've had

• fignut
    16 years ago

kkfromnj, Could you explain what a "JH" Adriatic is?
    Thanks

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

MountainMan (JH) has a fig he thinks may be Adriatic, it looks different than the UCD Adriatic.

• espo8
    16 years ago

Hi Keith, If you say Joe's Adriatic is a keeper; than it sure is a keeper!! George gave me a cutting of your Lyndhurst White this spring and I've had great success with it. Haven't tasted fruit yet, but I heard it is excellent.Keith I am interested in Joe's Adriatic. If you would be so kind as to put me on the list for a cutting I would be grateful.George was going to give me a cutting last spring but they never made it to N.J.Also Keith if there is anything I have that you would like please let me know.

Stay Well,

Anthony

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

UCD Deanna, for me disappointing, some got moldy before they got ripe,

This was supposedly Marseilles but doesnÂt look like any pics IÂve seen, sweet.

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

Anybody in NJ/NY successfully grow PitÂs reverted Pan? My potted tree grew very well; very vigorous, but looks like every fruit will split.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine grew Nicely but did not produce any fig embrio,and it was showing a lot of fig mosaic on leaves.

• pjb3811
    16 years ago

Giuseppe, I was very interested in your success with the Marseilles, especially inasmuch as I am also in upstate N.Y., between Buffalo and Rochester. I have only tried Brown Turkeys and will be starting to expand to other varieties. May I ask where did you purchase your fig? Could you possibly send me a cutting from it when you do your pruning? Thanks.
    Pasquale

• girlfromthegarden
    16 years ago

Keith,

Had a couple more JH Adriatic this morning, strongest strawberry taste I've had

I've got several JH Adriatics, too (this is first year for them to have significant number of figs on them), but they are *just now* starting to show signs of getting ripe. I'm praying they can hurry up before it starts getting cold here - about when did yours start to turn for you? I'm thinking I may be about two weeks behind NJ in timing. Can't wait for the first one!

Quick note to Gene (washdc): I'd gotten your Nero, Sal's, and Paradiso fig cuttings two seasons back, had some casualties among them last winter, and lost some labels! but have had some dark-skinned figs that were *very* good (guessing it's Sals because it's very similar to my Hardy Chicago in size, shape and color), and then another fig which I haven't a clue about, but think is yours, is very rounded and almost flat-topped as opposed to pear-shaped, slightly bronzed in skin color with greenish overtones, maybe slightly ribbed on the outside rather than fully smooth, honey colored inside, and awesome as far as taste goes. Would that possibly be one of the other two you'd sent me?

I have got to find time to get the metal tag system that Mountainman recommended I use, to label what I've got that's still identifiable. Blackjack has been fruiting for me (very good flavor), and have had some "mystery" figs from Paradise Nursery that were superb (green fig, red interior). Hardy Chicago is still one of my most reliable, and the Violette from Paradise was by far the most prolific, but has already lost all its leaves? I hope the fruit remaining ripens for me - it had breba figs that hung on over the winter, ripened this spring and were actually tasty! then did a very good main crop for me. Highly recommend that variety.

The collection is up to 75+ figs, from three-year-olds down to newer cuttings (Elder, I took some refrigerated DD cuttings you'd sent me last year, out of my crisper drawer about a month ago, and would you know it, have three newly rooted and leafed out DDs already?! I'm working on a cutting from my aunt's figs for you, too - it was from this year's wood and seems to have taken already, so might be able to send you this fall). Herman's got the Wisdom Center for NJ Figs cornered out there :o), but I'm trying to get the Midwest research nailed down for those of us in central zone 5, on recommended varieties for Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, etc. Appreciate you guys for your input, it's helped me greatly!

Sherry

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

Hi Sherry,
    Good to see you back, we've missed you. The Paradiso is a green fig, so it's not that one. Could be the Nero. I cut the main one down in my yard, and have a new one out at the orchard, so I haven't seen that fruit in the last year or so. Remember it as having ribs, with bronze-green skin color. Not so sure about the shape though. I'll be happy to send you more cuttings of both to compare -- just let me know.

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

>>girlfromthegarden about when did yours start to turn for you? I'm thinking I may be about two weeks behind NJ in timing.

I wish I could tell you, I donÂt keep notes. They were one of the trees I woke up early by moving them to the living room.

• alb419_ny
    16 years ago

Pasquale,
    you can email me,ciao Giuseppe

• beabuz
    16 years ago

I was transplanted from Italy to NJ and as all Italians (or at least a big part) I just love figs. My uncle Al gave me a cutting and after winterizing it once, i planted it in my backyard. This is the second year in the ground and it is producing very sweet figs. I think what was successful was the fact that when I planted it I amended the soil with homemade compost. However, does anyone know why it looks more like a bush than a single tree?
    Thank you.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Because the fig is an inteligent plant that know how to adapt in colder weather so as to survive.
    They act just like the new Emigrants to America use to.
    Full of Hope and willing to work hard to adapt here.
    Making a lot of trunks the fig assure itself that at least a couple of the smaller ones at the base will bit the freezing and be alive in Spring to continue on with life.
    Long live the fig!!!!

• beabuz
    16 years ago

I noticed some of you live in Southern NJ. So do I. We should have our own forum.

• njbeeman
    16 years ago

I too am in southern NJ and would love to have a get-together with other fig enthusiasts. I'm currently successfully growing Kadota and Negronne and am eager to try other varieties that Herman and others have found to be compatible with our local climate.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If you come by ,you take free cuttings,if not, and i have to pack and shipp you will have to pay.I think this is fare.
    So come by in Nov.
    Best Regards

• girlfromthegarden
    16 years ago

Hi again, Gene -

Good to see you back, we've missed you.

I've missed everyone here, too. Life-on-speed-bumps isn't the best for keeping up with FF news and hob-nobbing, but I've dove in to read a few times, just to stay connected from afar!

The Paradiso is a green fig, so it's not that one. Could be the Nero. I cut the main one down in my yard, and have a new one out at the orchard, so I haven't seen that fruit in the last year or so. Remember it as having ribs, with bronze-green skin color. Not so sure about the shape though.

That sounds a lot like it, and I'll watch one of the figs that seems like it's trying to ripen even with the recent nippy weather that descended over the area the end of this past week and last couple days. Really tasted good, so I know it's a keeper! did your main tree that you cut down, generate the new tree that's out in your orchard? I hope so, and totally flinch at the idea of your having to sacrifice the original tree at all (was there a problem with it? Nixing a fig is sort of like stomping a baby goldfinch or something, seems nigh unto criminal!).

I'll be happy to send you more cuttings of both to compare -- just let me know.

Thanks, might truly take you up on that (still at the same email as always?), and hopefully am almost at the stage of having big enough trees to start sharing cuttings in the future of any that seem especially good. Hey, did Paradise Nursery carry Atreano? I can't remember, but one of the "mystery" figs sent me by Sybil has had the BEST green figs with a strawberry pulp, sweeter than the Bataglia Strawberry Verte, and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. It could just be another BSV, but somehow it seems wonderfully different. Figs really *are* ambrosia, you know?

Sherry

• mbroc
    16 years ago

Just wondering what part of south jersey everyone is from. I'm in the burlington area and got my first fig tree (green with honey colored inside, tasty when ripe)from an older Italian friend. Had fruit the first year. Then problems for a couple of years overwintering but figured it out last fall, finally had a crop again this year. I'll also have 2 transplants (mounding)I'll try to keep in pots to save the risk.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am in Burl.area too

• FO876
    16 years ago

Wow everyone seems to be in central or south Jersey, anyone in north Jersey???

I think gorgi is my closest fig neighbor. Im in Passaic County.......any others near me?

OT- Im outside checking up on my lil treasures and notice TWO potted figs have a few lil figs growing NOW, I mean it had to be just in the past few days cuz I didnt see them when I moved all my pots to a sunnier side of my home. What would you folks suggest, bring it in when it gets colder to improve their chance of ripening or dont even bother thinking about it cuz there's no chance?

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brake them off so the fig can go dormant when time come!

• Datdog
    16 years ago

Burlington (Medford) area here and I do not wrap or give any special treatment. I have a very heavy crop this year on almost all of my plants. We have been eating figs for over a month now and they are still turning ripe.

Last winter I kept several mature plants out in pots without protection. I decided I had to cut back on what I was dragging in each winter. Imagine my surprise in the spring when almost all of them survived. I did have die back but many branches did survive and are producing ripe figs now.

• etneo0
    16 years ago

Dear Herman,

Have you tried Dalmatie, known in the US as SAN PIETRO ? Mine is exposed full north in a cold violent wind corridor. I live in a mountain area, with temps that go to -17°C..

Ciao,

Etneo

• alb419_ny
    16 years ago

Etneo,
    -18 is close to 0 fahrenheit,beside Dalmatie,what other figs you have that can take that kind of temperature.Do you give your figs any protection in the winter months?Thank you and ciao
    Giuseppe

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Etneo :I have San Pietro:
    It is 3 yrs old and only 60 cm Tall with only one trunk no branches.
    It does not want to grow.
    A couple of friends are waiting for me to give them some cuttings,but i do not have any.
    It had 2 figs last year,and 7 this year.
    Two of them dropped,prematurelly,one matured but it did not have the good taste it had last year.
    2 of them are maturing now.
    They are 70 grams or larger.elongated green figs with red interior.
    Best regards

• etneo0
    16 years ago

Hi Herman,

San Pietro/Dalmatie is considered as the "smallest" fig tree that can be purchased in France.

This fig tree requires watering, maybe more than other figs.

This year we had rain every 4 days since June (!) and the figs rippened earlier (3 weeks) and became bigger (up to 120 grams) compared to previous drier years (45-60 grams).

I have planted San Pietro below soil level, so to be able to flood it during summer every 3 days. Now my plant is 7 years old and only grows 20 cms per year. I get rid of all the sprouts, as they consume energy and only keep 2 majors branches. If it were another fig tree I would not do so. It's height is 1.5 meter and 1 meter wide. It resists extreme cold very easily because of the wood hardening. No winter protection. Breba falls almost entirely (2 fruits remained out of 40). Main crop is of EXCELLENT quality.

I have other cultivars that seem to withstand hard winters. The only known in the US are Desert King (still under trial), Ronde de Bordeaux, Kadota.

Kadota is highly disapointing as rains spoils the flavors, not the fruit. Unlike San Pietro, which even taste better when it rains a bit. Besides Kadota is very late. First fruit for me October 3rd.

I have a fig tree (name unknown) that produces every year a large crop of very tasty breba fruit + a huge main crop. 2 weeks of "dormancy" between breba and main crop for this one (harvest from July 20th to first freeze, after 15 years). Hardiest fig tree that I have every seen. Very good to excellent-- quality. Might be a Eastern Brown Turkey but produces very large figs, which do withstands well rain.

Ronde de Bordeaux seems to be quite resistant too. Still under trial.

+ Many oters.. (30 cultivars..)..

Ciao,

Etneo

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Etneo.I do have a spot that gets too much water for the fig that is planted there now.It is close to the Gutter down pour spout.
    I will plant the San Pietro There,if it likes more water in the soil.
    Thanks again

• alb419_ny
    16 years ago

Etneo,
    Can you please list the varieties of figs that are hardy in your zone?Thanks
    Giuseppe

• palmfan
    16 years ago

Hi! Does anyone know a source for any of the following figs: San Pietro, Sal's, and Black Marseilles?

• mario_grower
    15 years ago

Hi
    Can some one please help.
    I have 2 Brown Turkey trees that have fruit very small and leaves.
    Last night I got a mild frost. I expect to get more frosts.
    Should I take off fruit and leaves and wrap the tree at this time?
    Thanks, Mario

• ottawan_z5a
    15 years ago

Mario
    At least take off the fruit since it may not ripen and is consuming some of the stored energy (nutrients) in the meanwhile. Let the leaves fall naturally which process is already in progress in the eartern part of the continent. Do the storage thing preferably when the leaves fall naturally (still watching to protect the plants from extreme cold like below 20~25F).

• pjc3_in_nj
    15 years ago

I live in Northern New Jersey (Morris County) and these are the figs that produced for me:
    - Chicago Hardy
    - Marseilles
    - LSU Purple
    - Kadota (with oiling the figs - not too tasty)
    - Golden Alma (with oiling the figs - not too tasty)
    - Verte (only 3 figs, 1 ripened with excellent flavor, 1 was taken by animal friend, and 1 didn't ripen)
    - Condria (1st batch of figs ripened, most of the 2nd batch of figs ripened)

I will post a full report shortly, as I think it is a good idea to share our success/failures, so we don't waste time raising fig varieties that will never ripen in our area!

• gorgi
    15 years ago

I want a JH Adriatic fig cutting, very specifically via James; you know what I mean.

• elizhenders
    8 years ago

I am listening to you with trepidation. I have a San Pietro that is now indoors. It is my first and only fig at this point. My dad had one that came from Italy but died in a greenhouse fire. I am worried that it won't make it threw a New England winter. All help will be appreciated.

• FO876
    8 years ago

Define "indoors"??? As long as it remains dormant sub 40-50 degrees (someone will correct me...lol) you should be fine. The bottom line is you don't want sustained temps below freezing, not only will that kill what you see but it'll also kill the roots in container grown trees. My entire stock 40+ got wiped out just two winters ago so I know a lil on the subject.

• AlanK
    7 years ago

I live near Haddonfield, in Camden county, NJ and am trying my hand at growing figs for the first time this year. I got one tree (variety unknown - maybe Celeste?) at a local farmer's market last September. Per instructions I left it outside 'til the leaves fell and then wintered it over in the basement - but it started growing! Anxious to get it in the ground I made the mistake of planting it in the side yard (western exposure) in early April. We'd had some quite warm weather that fooled me into thinking spring had come early. It had not. The tree suffered terribly in a windstorm with sustained winds over 40 mph and the snow that hit a week later. losing all its leaves and killing the growing tips of all the shoots. The good news is that the tree sprouted new shoots from four of the five "trunks". It is now doing just fine and enjoying a bit of a growth spurt, although I'll be surprised if it yields any fruit this season.

Today I purchased a second fig tree. This one is a Hardy Chicago from Lowe's. I put it into a 12" plastic pot where it will stay for at least the first year or so. I plan on bringing this one into my enclosed but unheated porch next winter.

A friend and neighbor also has a fig tree of unknown variety that has survived one winter outdoors. I'll try and get a cutting or two from her to plant next year.

I look forward to seeing which one performs best for me.

• pothead
    6 years ago

i bought two fig tree seedlings online twice now both times different companies. first buy had rust on leaves they lost their leaves and died now i have bought two more and soon as i opened the box i saw rust again. where in nj can i buy healthy trees?

• shp123
    6 years ago

Hi pothead, I suggest you look up some individuals who sell fig trees on Craigslist. If you are in NJ, there is someone selling in Oldbridge. I got my brown turkey from him last year. I am quite happy with it. I am hoping to get some fruits this year.